Feb 15, 2012, 9:52 AM EST
It’s no secret that Ryan Smyth loves it in Edmonton and now he wants to make sure he stays there for good.
The veteran winger’s name has been bandied about in trade deadline speculation but he tells Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal that he wants a new deal with the team for next season to guarantee that he’s not heading out of town even as a rental.
“My ultimate goal is to sign a new contract with the Oilers, ideally before the trade deadline,” said Smyth, who turns 36 in a week. “Yeah, I want that.”
Matheson says that Smyth hasn’t told Oilers GM Steve Tambellini that he’s not interested in being traded but Smyth believes it to be understood that that’s the case since neither side has talked about being traded this year.
While the floundering Oilers looked like one team that could’ve been busy at the trade deadline, they’ve opted to do things differently by locking up defenseman Andy Sutton and are even in talks with impending free agent Ales Hemsky about signing long-term in Edmonton. If they don’t come to an understanding there, he’s likely to be traded by the deadline.
With the young talent in Edmonton ready to break out in the future and become a force in the West, you can understand why guys want to stick around.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)