Feb 15, 2012, 3:25 PM EST
Appearing on ESPN 1000 Chicago’s “The Waddle & Silvy Show” Wednesday, NHL on NBC analyst Jeremy Roenick suggested the struggling Blackhawks should consider trading All-Star forward Patrick Kane.
“Everybody knows I am a huge Patrick Kane fan, but when you’re talking something of this nature, is Patrick Kane dealable? As much as I don’t want to say it, they can afford to get rid of Patrick Kane,” said Roenick, one of only three Blackhawks to ever score 50 goals in a single season. “They can afford to — with the season he’s having — maybe with his off-ice reputation, maybe with the skill they have on their team — it’s doable.”
This is the second time this week Kane’s been floated as a potential trade chip. On Monday, Sportsnet’s Hockey Central analyst Nick Kypreos discussed a potential Kane-for-Ryan Miller swap in an effort to cure Chicago’s goaltending woes. The ‘Hawks have lost nine straight with goaltenders Corey Crawford and Ray Emery struggling throughout.
On Wednesday Roenick added to Kypreos’ train of thought, saying that if the ‘Hawks want to get a quality netminder, they’ll have to give.
“Do I like it? No, because I love Patrick Kane,” Roenick said. “He is one of the most talented and one of the best players in the NHL. But if you really want a top-end goaltender you’re going to have to give up somebody.”
That said, Roenick made it clear there’s one person the organization shouldn’t give up on — head coach Joel Quenneville.
“If you let Coach Q go it would be the biggest mistake that that franchise has made since they traded me in 1996,” he said (Roenick was shipped to Phoenix after eight seasons in Chicago). “I truly believe that Coach Quenneville is one of the best coaches in the NHL.”
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 1
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 4
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)