Feb 15, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
While the San Jose Sharks can’t be thrilled with their post-All-Star record — they’re just 4-3 over the last seven games — they have to be pleased with the play of linemates Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski.
The pair has racked up 22 points (9G, 13A) playing on a line with Patrick Marleau — Pavelski and Thorton also man the first power play unit together — with Thornton posting 4G-8A-12PTS, Pavelski notching 5G-5A-10PTS.
“I like playing with Joe,” Thornton told CSN Bay Area. “He sees the ice well and has a knack for being around the net and putting in timely goals. We enjoy playing with each other.”
Credit Sharks head coach Todd McLellan for utilizing the Joe-Joe chemistry to spark his anemic power play. The normally powerful unit struggled through most of the year (just 22 PP goals in the first 46 games) until McLellan put Pavelski and Thornton together…but with a twist.
Little Joe was moved to the point, and the results were immediate — dating back to the Sharks’ game in Vancouver on Jan. 21 (when Pavelski first started manning the blueline), San Jose is 13-for-32 with a man advantage, a remarkable 40.6 percent.
“To climb from where we were, and we reminded them of this after the St. Louis game, to where we are now, is a credit to them,” McLellan said, referring to an 0-for-4 performance against the Blues on Sunday. “It became real important to them and real important to our team that we fix [the power play.]”
“When you’re playing well in that area, it should translate over to feeling good about your game and having some confidence elsewhere.”
This offensive spark couldn’t have come at a better time. The Sharks are two games into a grueling nine-game road trip and their schedule over the final two months — 32 games in 59 days, six back-to-backs — is one of the league’s toughest. The likes of Thornton, Pavelski and Marleau will need to keep clicking if the Sharks hope to survive and remain atop the Pacific Division.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)