Feb 15, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Found this little nugget in the game recap from Tuesday’s Ducks-Wild game, which Anaheim won 2-1:
Minnesota has used an NHL-high 39 players this season, one away from the team record of 40 set last season.
Look, we’ve piled on the Wild quite a bit here at PHT, mostly for good reason. They were first overall in the league as recently as Dec. 15, but now find themselves 21st overall (12th in the Western Conference, five points out of a playoff spot.)
But 39 players? By Feb. 15? That’s pretty harsh.
Even harsher is the quality of players Minnesota’s gone through. They include:
Jon DiSalvatore: A 30-year-old winger that last played in the NHL in 2006.
Jeff Taffe: Best known for marrying Wayne Gretzky’s niece, Taffe, 30, has played for six different organizations since the lockout.
Jed Ortmeyer: 33 years old, nearly had his career ended in 2006 after being diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism.
In closing, I vow to take it easy on the Wild from here on in and actually starting cheering for them to set a franchise record. Why stop at 40? We can do 50, Minnesota. Yes we can.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)