Feb 15, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
That was pretty much the case last week when Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford announced he would try to re-sign the pending UFA forward, but now with Ruutu out three to four weeks with an upper body injury, it makes it a moot point. A Canes source confirmed to ESPN.com Tuesday night that Ruutu would not be going anywhere. Talks on a contract extension continue.
It was a fantastic run, and we’ll never forget it. Ruutu retires from the rumor mill as one of the greatest ever.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13