Feb 15, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
With just three wins in their last 10 games, the Philadelphia Flyers have hit a low point in their season — something head coach Peter Laviolette refuses to dwell on.
“I’m not ready to paint such a negative picture as everybody else is,” Laviolette told CSN Philadelphia. “Through the course of a long season, there are going to be ups and downs. That happens and we’ve talked about it.
“There’s things that we can do better. We acknowledge that. We look at it. We work at it. We look to get better. This team’s had a lot of success month-to-month so far and we had a little bit of a road block this weekend to winning games and we’ll get back on track.”
The “weekend road block” is in reference to a pair of losses to NHL elites — Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Eastern Conference-leading Rangers and Sunday’s 4-3 defeat to the Western Conference-leading Red Wings. Beating upper-echelon teams has been a major struggle for the Flyers this season; they’re 0-5 against the Blueshirts and just 15-12-3 against all clubs currently in the playoff picture (seeds 1-8) in the NHL.
As such, the Flyers are now a whopping 10 points back of New York for top spot in the Atlantic. That’s a far cry from Dec. 19, when the Flyers had a four-point lead on the Rangers for first in the division.
Not that Laviolette ever thinks about it.
“I don’t ever talk about the Rangers, 10 points – that never comes up,” he said. “We talk about winning the next hockey game. We talk about winning all of our hockey games and doing the best we can on a nightly basis.
“We’ve got short-term goals and we’ve got segment goals and we’ve got long-term goals. The objective is to win as many games as you can. Nothing changes for us. There’s nothing we can do about the weekend that just happened. We’re disappointed.”
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)