Feb 15, 2012, 10:57 PM EST
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley also gathered some quips from “Godzilla” regarding head coach Dale Hunter, who Kolzig also played with in parts of seven seasons.
“As a coach, you’re going to bruise some egos and hurt some feelings,” Kolzig said. “But that’s what he believes in, and if that’s what it’s going to take to get this team close to winning a Stanley Cup, and at the end of the day if that happens, all those unpopular decisions all of a sudden will look pretty smart.”
Interestingly enough, Kolzig points to Hunter’s one-year contract as a strength for the bench boss, which is an, um, unusual perspective. (Is that kind of instability really what any head coach wants, even a “tough guy” like Hunter?)
I’ll be honest, when the Capitals decided to promote an OHL coach* after firing Bruce Boudreau – whose previous job was in the AHL – I furrowed my brow more than a bit. It seems like a lateral move on paper, if not a step back.
Hunter’s run hasn’t really done a ton to make the move seem brilliant, but Kolzig has a point; if the Capitals come through in the playoffs, Hunter will look like a guy with his “finger on the pulse of the team” and all that cliched fun.
Of course, Hunter’s first task is getting Washington in the playoffs in the first place, which is far from a guarantee.
* – Even one with such obvious historical ties to the franchise as Hunter.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 9
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)