Feb 15, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Even though third-string netminder Joey MacDonald has won five straight contests, Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said he’s going back to his No. 1 on Sunday for a key battle against the Sharks.
“Howie is starting against San Jose,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “We’ll see what happens there. I don’t know if that means he’s starting against Nashville or not, but he’s starting sooner or later. You can only get so much holiday time during the regular season. It’s time for him to go.”
Howard’s been out of the lineup since Feb. 2 after breaking his finger in a 4-3 shootout win over Vancouver. Many feared the loss would derail Detroit as Howard’s been a workhorse this year — he was the goalie of record for the first 17 wins of the 21-game winning streak — but MacDonald wrestled the No. 2 gig away from struggling Ty Conlkin and was in goal for the record-tying and rec0rd-setting victories against Philadelphia and Dallas.
Perhaps watching MacDonald rip off five straight wins made Howard a little antsy. He sounded really keen to reclaim his starting gig and suggested it’s “a realistic goal” to come back even sooner and play against Nashville on Friday.
“Everything is fine,” he said. “I’ve been through a couple of days, and I’m looking forward to going back out there and going through a whole practice where I don’t have to come out of the net.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)