Feb 15, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
While Al MacInnis has his number retired in St. Louis, he’s about to be honored by the team where his storied career began.
The Calgary Flames will be honoring MacInnis as part of their “Forever A Flame” program, the first former Flame to receive the honor.
Unlike most teams that retire a player’s number, the Flames will take a page out of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ book and honor the player while allowing current players to wear the former stars numbers. Of course, Calgary has already retired Lanny McDonald’s No. 9 and Mike Vernon’s No. 30 so there’s that.
MacInnis was a 1981 first-round pick by the Flames and later helped lead Calgary to its first and only Stanley Cup championship in 1989. Renowned for his booming slap shot, MacInnis’ work on the blue line was legendary for 13 seasons with the Flames before moving on to St. Louis for another 10. MacInnis finished his career with over 1,200 points and 340 goals.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 11
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 31
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins