Feb 15, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
During his three years in Florida, Peter DeBoer watched the Panthers sell off assets at the trade dealine.
But now, leading a Devils team two points out of second in the East, DeBoer’s finally experiencing what it’s like to be a buyer.
And guess what? He likes it.
“I can tell you it’s nicer going into this time of year in a playoff spot than where I’ve been in previous years,” DeBoer told the Star-Ledger. “Scratching from the outside looking in, trying to sell the hope if we can get on a run this time of year maybe we won’t be dumping salary, we might be adding.
“Those were tough situations to be in the last couple of years (in Florida) prior to getting here.”
During his time in Florida, DeBoer watched management unload the likes of Jordan Leopold, Dennis Seidenberg, Michael Frolik, Bryan McCabe and Cory Stillman at or near the deadline. Now, it appears his Devils are in the mix for Minnesota defenseman Marek Zidlicky — this after acquiring Alexei Ponikarovsky in late January.
DeBoer’s not the only person excited about the prospect of adding Zidlicky. Devils captain Patrik Elias is good friends with his fellow Czech countryman and would love to see him come to New Jersey.
“I’ve liked him ever since I was 14, 15 years old,” Elias said in an unfortunately worded statement. “We played on the national team together. He’s a good player. Offensively, he’s very good. He plays mean when he has to. He can be a little (agitator).
“But all that said, he’s not here yet.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)