Feb 15, 2012, 7:55 PM EDT
CSNChicago.com’s Chris Boden was quick to throw a bucket of water on the wacky rumors circling the 23-year-old star, though.
It’s not impossible, just don’t hold your breath for those anxious to ship the guy who scored your Stanley Cup-clinching goal out of town for the sake of doing something and immediate gratification. Stan Bowman’s not in line with J.R.’s thinking. Of course, he’d always listen. Just don’t believe Kane will be aggressively shopped.
In times like these, I cannot help but reflect on the woeful era of Blackhawks hockey that just passed. When Eric Daze and Alexei Zhamnov were among the biggest beacons of hope in Chicago, one would have had a tough time believing that they’d consider trading a young star less than two years after he scored a Stanley Cup-winning goal.
Talking imaginary GMs off the ledge
Kane’s 45 points in 57 games is far from a disaster. The dazzling winger is obviously more of a playmaker than sniper, but it’s telling that his shooting percentage is at a paltry 6.8 percent this season.
The American forward’s shooting percentage has never been lower than 9.8 percent in any other season and while that difference might not sound like much, he’d have 16-17 goals instead of 12 if he was connecting at his career 10.5 rate.
Blockbuster goalie moves are far from guaranteed – especially for ‘Hawks
Long story short, much like his team, Kane isn’t getting many bounces right now. It would be a little hasty to move a franchise cornerstone for struggling a bit – especially since Chicago’s goalie successes usually come from unexpected sources rather than marquee moves.
(See: Cristobal Huet vs. Antti Niemi for the most lucrative example.)
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 21
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)