Feb 15, 2012, 7:55 PM EST
CSNChicago.com’s Chris Boden was quick to throw a bucket of water on the wacky rumors circling the 23-year-old star, though.
It’s not impossible, just don’t hold your breath for those anxious to ship the guy who scored your Stanley Cup-clinching goal out of town for the sake of doing something and immediate gratification. Stan Bowman’s not in line with J.R.’s thinking. Of course, he’d always listen. Just don’t believe Kane will be aggressively shopped.
In times like these, I cannot help but reflect on the woeful era of Blackhawks hockey that just passed. When Eric Daze and Alexei Zhamnov were among the biggest beacons of hope in Chicago, one would have had a tough time believing that they’d consider trading a young star less than two years after he scored a Stanley Cup-winning goal.
Talking imaginary GMs off the ledge
Kane’s 45 points in 57 games is far from a disaster. The dazzling winger is obviously more of a playmaker than sniper, but it’s telling that his shooting percentage is at a paltry 6.8 percent this season.
The American forward’s shooting percentage has never been lower than 9.8 percent in any other season and while that difference might not sound like much, he’d have 16-17 goals instead of 12 if he was connecting at his career 10.5 rate.
Blockbuster goalie moves are far from guaranteed – especially for ‘Hawks
Long story short, much like his team, Kane isn’t getting many bounces right now. It would be a little hasty to move a franchise cornerstone for struggling a bit – especially since Chicago’s goalie successes usually come from unexpected sources rather than marquee moves.
(See: Cristobal Huet vs. Antti Niemi for the most lucrative example.)
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)