Boston GM preaches trade deadline caution: “It’s a fine balance with chemistry and you have to be careful”
Feb 15, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
It’s no secret Peter Chiarelli wants to add some depth for Boston’s Stanley Cup defense. But to hear the Bruins GM explain it, he won’t do it at the expense of team chemistry.
“That’s probably my priority when I look to add something,” Chiarelli told ESPN Boston, when asked if he was wary of upsetting the current mix. “I do want to add something, and I’d like to help the team. I’d like to add to our depth, but that’s a priority. It’s a fine balance with chemistry and you have to be careful.”
It’s an interesting position for Chiarelli to take. He was one of the league’s most aggressive GMs at last year’s deadline, acquiring Chris Kelly and Rich Peverley before breaking the bank to get Tomas Kaberle out of Toronto. While Kaberle was largely a disappointment, Kelly and Peverley played key roles in Boston’s Stanley Cup victory.
“I’ve been quite expressive in saying that we want to add, we don’t want to subtract,” Chiarelli said. “We demand performance, and we want to try and repeat.”
While he might be preaching caution, Chiarelli has plenty of trade avenues to explore. Kelly, Shawn Thornton, Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille and Joe Corvo are all impending UFAs and according to Capgeek, the B’s could have as much as $13 million in available cap space at the deadline.
That said, Chiarelli has stated on numerous occasions he likes his current group and will work hard on extending his free agents. One such player, defenseman Johnny Boychuk, inked a three-year deal worth $10.08 million yesterday.
“Winning the Cup, you tend to fall in love with your players, and I think you have to be careful,” Chiarelli said. “You see all the intangibles in a long playoff run, so you tend to monetize that. It’s something that I’ve tried to stay away from and will continue to try to stay away from.
“But the team did win us a Cup, and I’m going to try to sign as many guys as I can.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 40
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 40
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)