Feb 14, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Minnesota Wild prospect Justin Fontaine isn’t just a little too green for the NHL.
His social media inexperience reared its ugly head this weekend, as the team handed him a two-game minor league suspension for using a gay slur in a Tweet, according to Michael Russo.
Fontaine made the offending Tweet regarding a Grammy nod for the Foo Fighters, which was then re-Tweeted by fellow teammate and Houston Aeros captain Jon DiSalvatore (screen shot via Bryan Reynolds of Hockey Wilderness).
(Warning: offensive language below.)
Fontaine was quick to apologize for the misstep:
“Minnesota Sports and Entertainment (MSE) apologizes for the offensive slur that was posted by Justin Fontaine on Twitter last night,” the Wild said in a statement Monday night. “Fontaine has been suspended from playing in the next two games for the Houston Aeros.”
Russo points out that 12 Wild prospects and three NHL-level players (Justin Falk, Matt Kassian and Devin Setoguchi) are on Twitter. Something tells me that they’ll probably think twice before they write mean things about Dave Grohl’s meal ticket – among other subjects – in the future, then.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 0
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming