Feb 14, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Minnesota Wild prospect Justin Fontaine isn’t just a little too green for the NHL.
His social media inexperience reared its ugly head this weekend, as the team handed him a two-game minor league suspension for using a gay slur in a Tweet, according to Michael Russo.
Fontaine made the offending Tweet regarding a Grammy nod for the Foo Fighters, which was then re-Tweeted by fellow teammate and Houston Aeros captain Jon DiSalvatore (screen shot via Bryan Reynolds of Hockey Wilderness).
(Warning: offensive language below.)
Fontaine was quick to apologize for the misstep:
“Minnesota Sports and Entertainment (MSE) apologizes for the offensive slur that was posted by Justin Fontaine on Twitter last night,” the Wild said in a statement Monday night. “Fontaine has been suspended from playing in the next two games for the Houston Aeros.”
Russo points out that 12 Wild prospects and three NHL-level players (Justin Falk, Matt Kassian and Devin Setoguchi) are on Twitter. Something tells me that they’ll probably think twice before they write mean things about Dave Grohl’s meal ticket – among other subjects – in the future, then.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)