Feb 14, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Minnesota Wild prospect Justin Fontaine isn’t just a little too green for the NHL.
His social media inexperience reared its ugly head this weekend, as the team handed him a two-game minor league suspension for using a gay slur in a Tweet, according to Michael Russo.
Fontaine made the offending Tweet regarding a Grammy nod for the Foo Fighters, which was then re-Tweeted by fellow teammate and Houston Aeros captain Jon DiSalvatore (screen shot via Bryan Reynolds of Hockey Wilderness).
(Warning: offensive language below.)
Fontaine was quick to apologize for the misstep:
“Minnesota Sports and Entertainment (MSE) apologizes for the offensive slur that was posted by Justin Fontaine on Twitter last night,” the Wild said in a statement Monday night. “Fontaine has been suspended from playing in the next two games for the Houston Aeros.”
Russo points out that 12 Wild prospects and three NHL-level players (Justin Falk, Matt Kassian and Devin Setoguchi) are on Twitter. Something tells me that they’ll probably think twice before they write mean things about Dave Grohl’s meal ticket – among other subjects – in the future, then.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)