Feb 14, 2012, 12:54 AM EST
Minnesota Wild prospect Justin Fontaine isn’t just a little too green for the NHL.
His social media inexperience reared its ugly head this weekend, as the team handed him a two-game minor league suspension for using a gay slur in a Tweet, according to Michael Russo.
Fontaine made the offending Tweet regarding a Grammy nod for the Foo Fighters, which was then re-Tweeted by fellow teammate and Houston Aeros captain Jon DiSalvatore (screen shot via Bryan Reynolds of Hockey Wilderness).
(Warning: offensive language below.)
Fontaine was quick to apologize for the misstep:
“Minnesota Sports and Entertainment (MSE) apologizes for the offensive slur that was posted by Justin Fontaine on Twitter last night,” the Wild said in a statement Monday night. “Fontaine has been suspended from playing in the next two games for the Houston Aeros.”
Russo points out that 12 Wild prospects and three NHL-level players (Justin Falk, Matt Kassian and Devin Setoguchi) are on Twitter. Something tells me that they’ll probably think twice before they write mean things about Dave Grohl’s meal ticket – among other subjects – in the future, then.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)