Feb 14, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
Ales Hemsky is a tough player to value. When healthy, he’s a point-a-game player. Unfortunately, he always seems to be hurt.
And that’s just one factor Oilers GM Steve Tambellini will have to consider before choosing to sign or trade the 28-year-old pending unrestricted free agent. He’ll also have to decide if Hemsky is a fit on an Edmonton team with a plethora of young talent up front, but not much in the way of top-six size and grit.
“I think as a manager you always have to have your feel for what’s happening right now and what the team looks like,” Tambellini said, as per the Canadian Press.
“You also have to have a plan in place for the organization of identifying what your core is going to be and what that’s going to look like, what it’s going to cost to keep that core.
“Things can change along the way in the next few years. We’ve got a lot of high-end, talented, skilled players that we’re excited about and I know people are excited about. There’ll be issues. When it gets to that point, there will be hard decisions, but those are good problems. It means you’re getting better.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline is “likely”, though what the Oilers could get in return is a mystery.
From 2005-06 to 2008-09, Hemsky was one of the more dangerous players in the NHL on the power play; however, he’s seen his PP time fall dramatically as the young guns have established themselves. For a team that’s struggling with the man advantage (Blues? Rangers? Kings?), perhaps he could provide a boost.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 25
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 27
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 83
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm