Feb 14, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
Ales Hemsky is a tough player to value. When healthy, he’s a point-a-game player. Unfortunately, he always seems to be hurt.
And that’s just one factor Oilers GM Steve Tambellini will have to consider before choosing to sign or trade the 28-year-old pending unrestricted free agent. He’ll also have to decide if Hemsky is a fit on an Edmonton team with a plethora of young talent up front, but not much in the way of top-six size and grit.
“I think as a manager you always have to have your feel for what’s happening right now and what the team looks like,” Tambellini said, as per the Canadian Press.
“You also have to have a plan in place for the organization of identifying what your core is going to be and what that’s going to look like, what it’s going to cost to keep that core.
“Things can change along the way in the next few years. We’ve got a lot of high-end, talented, skilled players that we’re excited about and I know people are excited about. There’ll be issues. When it gets to that point, there will be hard decisions, but those are good problems. It means you’re getting better.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline is “likely”, though what the Oilers could get in return is a mystery.
From 2005-06 to 2008-09, Hemsky was one of the more dangerous players in the NHL on the power play; however, he’s seen his PP time fall dramatically as the young guns have established themselves. For a team that’s struggling with the man advantage (Blues? Rangers? Kings?), perhaps he could provide a boost.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13