Feb 14, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer reports that Hurricanes forward Tuomo Ruutu will miss the next three weeks of action with an upper-body injury, casting doubt on his availability for the Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Ruutu suffered the injury during Monday’s win over Montreal after absorbing what appeared to be an innocuous hit from Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec. The incident occurred just three minutes into the first period — Ruutu immediately left the contest and did not return.
Ruutu is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is seen by many as the marquee name available at the deadline. That said, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is exploring the possibility of re-signing him before Feb. 27.
“[The injury] will have no impact,” Rutherford said. “The fact that we’d like him to stay and like to re-sign him has not changed in any way.”
Ruutu leads the ‘Canes in goals, with 17, and is tied for second on the team in scoring with 30 points. He’s also one of only six Hurricanes with a plus rating this year (+3) and leads Carolina in hits, with 106.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)