Feb 14, 2012, 9:08 AM EST
With the trade deadline approaching in less than two weeks and a host of once-thought available players being re-signed, it was felt that the deadline would be a quiet one.
That’s when Renaud Lavoie of RDS in Quebec shook things up by reporting two sources, including a NHL GM, told him that Columbus Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash could be had via trade (link is French, English tweet here). After the talk that Jeff Carter is the guy Jackets GM Scott Howson is trying to move the most, this news on Nash is startling.
The next question then is: Who is hottest after Nash? Well the New York Rangers of course. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that sources tell him the Rangers would pony up forward Brandon Dubinsky, top prospect forward Chris Kreider, and a first-round pick as part of a package to get Nash.
The New York Daily News’ Pat Leonard hears from Nash’s agent who won’t comment on any rumors but says that the Blue Jackets have been sending scouts en masse to Rangers games recently including Howson dropping by the Rangers-Flyers game on Saturday in Philly. This could all be a coincidence or there are puzzle pieces being put together.
One curious thing about Garrioch’s report is that the rumored Rangers package doesn’t include a future franchise goaltender, something Columbus would seemingly almost require to get in return for the five-time All-Star. That said, Rangers GM Glen Sather is a master at pulling off heists in trades, but does he have one really big trick up his sleeve to help the Rangers’ push for a Stanley Cup?
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)