Feb 14, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Of course, one Post source called the likelihood of a deadline deal “a longshot.”
Brooks notes that while the Rangers have the cap space, the asking price for Nash would likely be in excess of the speculated package of Brandon Dubinsky, blue-chip prospect Chris Kreider, and a first-round draft choice.
It is hard to believe that Columbus GM Scott Howson, who scouted the Rangers-Flyers game in Philadelphia on Saturday and presumably will be at the Garden this Sunday when the Blue Jackets face the Blueshirts, is not demanding that Derek Stepan and/or Ryan McDonagh be included with Kreider in the package going the other way for Nash.
Brooks also wonders what effect such an enormous move would have on the Rangers’ chemistry. (Last week, he wrote a glowing column about the team’s all-for-one-and-one-for-all attitude.)
Still, the prospect of adding an elite talent like Nash could be awfully tempting for GM Glen Sather given his team’s mediocre offense and dreadful power play.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)