Feb 14, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Of course, one Post source called the likelihood of a deadline deal “a longshot.”
Brooks notes that while the Rangers have the cap space, the asking price for Nash would likely be in excess of the speculated package of Brandon Dubinsky, blue-chip prospect Chris Kreider, and a first-round draft choice.
It is hard to believe that Columbus GM Scott Howson, who scouted the Rangers-Flyers game in Philadelphia on Saturday and presumably will be at the Garden this Sunday when the Blue Jackets face the Blueshirts, is not demanding that Derek Stepan and/or Ryan McDonagh be included with Kreider in the package going the other way for Nash.
Brooks also wonders what effect such an enormous move would have on the Rangers’ chemistry. (Last week, he wrote a glowing column about the team’s all-for-one-and-one-for-all attitude.)
Still, the prospect of adding an elite talent like Nash could be awfully tempting for GM Glen Sather given his team’s mediocre offense and dreadful power play.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)