Feb 14, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Nitpickers can quibble about shootout wins all they want, but the Detroit Red Wings’ run of home dominance is now unmatched in NHL history.
Detroit extended its winning streak at Joe Louis Arena to an astounding 21 games, passing the 1929-30 Boston Bruins and 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers in the process. It was a tight game with the Dallas Stars, but the Red Wings pulled out a 3-1 win after taking an early 2-0 lead.
The natural next step is to compare the Red Wings’ run to the best that have occurred in other sports. In case you’re wondering, here are the all-time leaders in the “Big Four.” (H/T to Greg Wyshynski)
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1971-74 Miami Dolphins
1978 Pittsburgh Pirates and 1988 Boston Red Sox
2011-12 Red Wings
21 wins (and counting?)
Stay tuned for more on this impressive achievement, including a look at how the Red Wings could make their already-amazing streak that much tougher to top.
* – Beat up those Dolphins teams for drinking champagne whenever the last undefeated NFL team loses if you want, but they had a ridiculous run. Their streak might be the most amazing of all since it was one game short of two full seasons in those days.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 15
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)