Feb 14, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Nitpickers can quibble about shootout wins all they want, but the Detroit Red Wings’ run of home dominance is now unmatched in NHL history.
Detroit extended its winning streak at Joe Louis Arena to an astounding 21 games, passing the 1929-30 Boston Bruins and 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers in the process. It was a tight game with the Dallas Stars, but the Red Wings pulled out a 3-1 win after taking an early 2-0 lead.
The natural next step is to compare the Red Wings’ run to the best that have occurred in other sports. In case you’re wondering, here are the all-time leaders in the “Big Four.” (H/T to Greg Wyshynski)
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1971-74 Miami Dolphins
1978 Pittsburgh Pirates and 1988 Boston Red Sox
2011-12 Red Wings
21 wins (and counting?)
Stay tuned for more on this impressive achievement, including a look at how the Red Wings could make their already-amazing streak that much tougher to top.
* – Beat up those Dolphins teams for drinking champagne whenever the last undefeated NFL team loses if you want, but they had a ridiculous run. Their streak might be the most amazing of all since it was one game short of two full seasons in those days.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)