Feb 14, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
The Red Wings are looking to hit a number that’s good for blackjack tonight.
If Detroit beats the Dallas Stars tonight at Joe Louis Arena, they’ll make it 21 straight wins at home. After beating Philadelphia on Sunday, the Red Wings have gone over three months without losing on home ice.
There hasn’t been a home winning streak like this since the Philadelphia Flyers pulled it off in the mid-70s and then only one time before that with the Bruins during the 1930s. Of course, with Detroit winning three of their 20 games in a row via the shootout, some are eager to pooh-pooh the Red Wings’ run thanks to the shootout being a virtual coin flip.
Rather than pile on about what’s legitimate and what isn’t, let’s just take a look at it for what it is: An incredible run of success the likes of which we haven’t seen in over 35 years. Regardless of the rules whether games ended after regulation, in overtime with ties, or settled by a shootout, winning 20 in a row at home and pushing for more is something that’s rarer than rare.
Only three teams ever have pushed a home winning streak this far and with parity being rampant in the league, who knows when we’ll get to see a run like this again. Shootout or not, this makes for a historic run by the Wings.
The NHL Overtime crew debated whether or not they thought the Red Wings’ streak was legit, have a look.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)