Feb 14, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
The Red Wings are looking to hit a number that’s good for blackjack tonight.
If Detroit beats the Dallas Stars tonight at Joe Louis Arena, they’ll make it 21 straight wins at home. After beating Philadelphia on Sunday, the Red Wings have gone over three months without losing on home ice.
There hasn’t been a home winning streak like this since the Philadelphia Flyers pulled it off in the mid-70s and then only one time before that with the Bruins during the 1930s. Of course, with Detroit winning three of their 20 games in a row via the shootout, some are eager to pooh-pooh the Red Wings’ run thanks to the shootout being a virtual coin flip.
Rather than pile on about what’s legitimate and what isn’t, let’s just take a look at it for what it is: An incredible run of success the likes of which we haven’t seen in over 35 years. Regardless of the rules whether games ended after regulation, in overtime with ties, or settled by a shootout, winning 20 in a row at home and pushing for more is something that’s rarer than rare.
Only three teams ever have pushed a home winning streak this far and with parity being rampant in the league, who knows when we’ll get to see a run like this again. Shootout or not, this makes for a historic run by the Wings.
The NHL Overtime crew debated whether or not they thought the Red Wings’ streak was legit, have a look.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)