Feb 14, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
The Red Wings are looking to hit a number that’s good for blackjack tonight.
If Detroit beats the Dallas Stars tonight at Joe Louis Arena, they’ll make it 21 straight wins at home. After beating Philadelphia on Sunday, the Red Wings have gone over three months without losing on home ice.
There hasn’t been a home winning streak like this since the Philadelphia Flyers pulled it off in the mid-70s and then only one time before that with the Bruins during the 1930s. Of course, with Detroit winning three of their 20 games in a row via the shootout, some are eager to pooh-pooh the Red Wings’ run thanks to the shootout being a virtual coin flip.
Rather than pile on about what’s legitimate and what isn’t, let’s just take a look at it for what it is: An incredible run of success the likes of which we haven’t seen in over 35 years. Regardless of the rules whether games ended after regulation, in overtime with ties, or settled by a shootout, winning 20 in a row at home and pushing for more is something that’s rarer than rare.
Only three teams ever have pushed a home winning streak this far and with parity being rampant in the league, who knows when we’ll get to see a run like this again. Shootout or not, this makes for a historic run by the Wings.
The NHL Overtime crew debated whether or not they thought the Red Wings’ streak was legit, have a look.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 35
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 68
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 62
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)