Feb 14, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
The Red Wings are looking to hit a number that’s good for blackjack tonight.
If Detroit beats the Dallas Stars tonight at Joe Louis Arena, they’ll make it 21 straight wins at home. After beating Philadelphia on Sunday, the Red Wings have gone over three months without losing on home ice.
There hasn’t been a home winning streak like this since the Philadelphia Flyers pulled it off in the mid-70s and then only one time before that with the Bruins during the 1930s. Of course, with Detroit winning three of their 20 games in a row via the shootout, some are eager to pooh-pooh the Red Wings’ run thanks to the shootout being a virtual coin flip.
Rather than pile on about what’s legitimate and what isn’t, let’s just take a look at it for what it is: An incredible run of success the likes of which we haven’t seen in over 35 years. Regardless of the rules whether games ended after regulation, in overtime with ties, or settled by a shootout, winning 20 in a row at home and pushing for more is something that’s rarer than rare.
Only three teams ever have pushed a home winning streak this far and with parity being rampant in the league, who knows when we’ll get to see a run like this again. Shootout or not, this makes for a historic run by the Wings.
The NHL Overtime crew debated whether or not they thought the Red Wings’ streak was legit, have a look.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)