Feb 14, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
On a big night of NHL games, the New York Rangers made a serious argument that they’re the best team in the Eastern Conference.
The first-ranked Rangers topped the second place Boston Bruins 3-0 thanks in large part to Henrik Lundqvist‘s brilliance. The superb Swede stopped all 42 Bruins shots while New York scored three on just 20 attempts against defending Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas.
(This is probably a good time to note that Lundqvist hasn’t won a Vezina in his otherwise distinguished career.)
Sure, the shutout had its odd moment as what seemed like a Bruins goal actually went in a little hole in the side of the net, but that’s all that “got past” Lundqvist. Maybe it’s extreme to say that this was a statement game overall, but it certainly could qualify as such for Lundqvist.
The Ryans (Callahan and McDonagh) once again scored a goal apiece as the Rangers frustrated the Bruins.
This inspires two nearly unavoidable questions:
1. Is Lundqvist running away with the Vezina right now?
2. Does this prove that the Rangers are indeed the best team in the East at the moment? If not, who’s your choice?
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 10
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 56
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (57)