Feb 14, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
On a big night of NHL games, the New York Rangers made a serious argument that they’re the best team in the Eastern Conference.
The first-ranked Rangers topped the second place Boston Bruins 3-0 thanks in large part to Henrik Lundqvist‘s brilliance. The superb Swede stopped all 42 Bruins shots while New York scored three on just 20 attempts against defending Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas.
(This is probably a good time to note that Lundqvist hasn’t won a Vezina in his otherwise distinguished career.)
Sure, the shutout had its odd moment as what seemed like a Bruins goal actually went in a little hole in the side of the net, but that’s all that “got past” Lundqvist. Maybe it’s extreme to say that this was a statement game overall, but it certainly could qualify as such for Lundqvist.
The Ryans (Callahan and McDonagh) once again scored a goal apiece as the Rangers frustrated the Bruins.
This inspires two nearly unavoidable questions:
1. Is Lundqvist running away with the Vezina right now?
2. Does this prove that the Rangers are indeed the best team in the East at the moment? If not, who’s your choice?
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)