Feb 14, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle — a native of Hingham, Mass. — is a huge Boston Red Sox and New England Patriots fan. Yet, as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty found out, Boyle’s love of New England sports doesn’t extend to the Boston Bruins.
“I hate the Bruins. I hate them with a passion,” Boyle said prior to tonight’s tilt against New York. “That’s how it’s supposed to be, I think, and that’s how it’s been for a while. Last year they won and congratulations to them, but it really made me upset. I was pretty angry about it.”
The B’s and Blueshirts have only met once this year — a 3-2 OT win for the Rangers on Jan. 21 — and while Boyle was held off the scoresheet, he still made his presence felt. The 6-foot-7, 244-pound center had three shots on goal, dished out three hits and blocked two shots in 16:51 of ice time.
Based on his comments, you can expected another spirited effort tonight.
“I had a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins or whatever that were all excited [about the Bruins' Cup victory], but I’m in a different situation,” Boyle said. “That’s what made me hate it all the more. You want that. That’s what you drive and train and prepare for as your goal.”
Boyle sees his hatred as a good thing, adding to the heated rivalry between Boston and New York.
“In baseball it’s always talked about on ESPN,” he said. “In football with what’s happened lately, a [Boston/New York] rivalry can only help the game.”
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 53
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)