Feb 14, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle — a native of Hingham, Mass. — is a huge Boston Red Sox and New England Patriots fan. Yet, as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty found out, Boyle’s love of New England sports doesn’t extend to the Boston Bruins.
“I hate the Bruins. I hate them with a passion,” Boyle said prior to tonight’s tilt against New York. “That’s how it’s supposed to be, I think, and that’s how it’s been for a while. Last year they won and congratulations to them, but it really made me upset. I was pretty angry about it.”
The B’s and Blueshirts have only met once this year — a 3-2 OT win for the Rangers on Jan. 21 — and while Boyle was held off the scoresheet, he still made his presence felt. The 6-foot-7, 244-pound center had three shots on goal, dished out three hits and blocked two shots in 16:51 of ice time.
Based on his comments, you can expected another spirited effort tonight.
“I had a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins or whatever that were all excited [about the Bruins' Cup victory], but I’m in a different situation,” Boyle said. “That’s what made me hate it all the more. You want that. That’s what you drive and train and prepare for as your goal.”
Boyle sees his hatred as a good thing, adding to the heated rivalry between Boston and New York.
“In baseball it’s always talked about on ESPN,” he said. “In football with what’s happened lately, a [Boston/New York] rivalry can only help the game.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (96)