Rangers’ Boyle: “I hate the Bruins. I hate them with a passion”

Feb 14, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT

Brian Boyle

New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle — a native of Hingham, Mass. — is a huge Boston Red Sox and New England Patriots fan. Yet, as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty found out, Boyle’s love of New England sports doesn’t extend to the Boston Bruins.

“I hate the Bruins. I hate them with a passion,” Boyle said prior to tonight’s tilt against New York. “That’s how it’s supposed to be, I think, and that’s how it’s been for a while. Last year they won and congratulations to them, but it really made me upset. I was pretty angry about it.”

The B’s and Blueshirts have only met once this year — a 3-2 OT win for the Rangers on Jan. 21 — and while Boyle was held off the scoresheet, he still made his presence felt. The 6-foot-7, 244-pound center had three shots on goal, dished out three hits and blocked two shots in 16:51 of ice time.

Based on his comments, you can expected another spirited effort tonight.

“I had a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins or whatever that were all excited [about the Bruins' Cup victory], but I’m in a different situation,” Boyle said. “That’s what made me hate it all the more. You want that. That’s what you drive and train and prepare for as your goal.”

Boyle sees his hatred as a good thing, adding to the heated rivalry between Boston and New York.

“In baseball it’s always talked about on ESPN,” he said. “In football with what’s happened lately, a [Boston/New York] rivalry can only help the game.”

1. cowboys282 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I am glad I saw this before the game. He was such a try hard the last time they played Boston. All I know is the place will be rockn tonight. Rangers are in for a reality check.

• jkay1818 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

cowboys282, yeah, thank God you saw this. This is some awesome bulletin board material for you to post on your fridge while you watch on your couch tonight. Imagine if you didnt see this memo? you would have cheered with less passion tonight. But you saw it, and the Rangers are doomed.

• cowboys282 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Hey Jkay go outside kid and get off the internet you troll. Its quite sad the conclusion that you gathered from my post. It shows your true intelligence. But you are right there is no way someone could actually be going to the game that posts on the internet.

Well I guess in your world that probably is true. lol. Go find something better to do man. Trolling the internet won’t make your parents proud :)

• jkay1818 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM

your run on sentence just made me dizzy. You are right, I am not going to the game tonight, IM stuck in the office in NYC and it would be a tight crunch to get to Boston in time. So you’re saying you are going? Then you’re right, good thing you do see this, i will be looking for you on TV tonight going crazy and booing boyle. You should print this article and pass it around your section to rile up the fans. DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR BRUINS #1 FOAM FINGER TONIGHT…big shot..Now, how does seeing his comments make a difference whether youre sitting at home or at the game? right.

• cowboys282 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM

What a shock. Jkay is a typical obnoxious New Yorker. It amazes me that somehow you turned what I said into me inferring it would make a difference to the outcome of the game. How delusional are you?

Do people even read anymore or do they just see what they want? I am glad you are so effected by what I see. lol. And you refer to me as a “Big Shot” You go around and start fights on the internet. :)

• yardape74 - Feb 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The reality is the NYR are already 9 pts ahead of the Bruins. Have another clown!!!

• brian32556 - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

REALITY CHECK: 2-0 NYR AFTER ONE!

• brian32556 - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

What’s that Bruins fans? NOTHING! As in shutout at home and fans booing. In Boston, not NY!! Check your reality now sucka’s!

• hanktheking - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Hahaha reality check? Nice try pal. 3-0 was a nice game to watch. Try scoring a goal next time you idiot!

2. hockinj25 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Newsflash Brian Boyle: so does everyone else

3. whatswellydoing - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM

In related news, I am now a Brian Boyle fan.

4. imleftcoast - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

May the Rangers dominate the Bruins in the same way that the Giants dominating the Patriots: totally, completely and finally. If Lucic ever gets a girlfriend, she can wine about losses like Tommy-boy’s girl.

• bear654 - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Lucic’s girlfriend is hotter than yours. There’s a nice picture of them on the ice after the B’s won the cup

• imleftcoast - Feb 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

He’s still with that girl? I thought she’d leave in September after this:

Milan Lucic To Cop Questioning Him About A Fight With His Girlfriend: “Do You Know Who I Am?”

Bruins forward Milan Lucic was not charged after allegedly having an altercation with his girlfriend the other night in which he was “highly intoxicated and hostile,” according to this report in the Boston Herald . . . Police said no injuries were visible on her even though Lucic was seen yelling at her while she was on the ground . . . As the officer continued to question Lucic, he “slammed his cell phone to the ground and yelled ‘Do you know who I am?’ ” the police report states.

5. lsxphotog - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Nice. Should be a great game. The best part about hockey is watching teams that honest-to-god hate each other battle on the ice. This should be a good one.

• govtminion - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Exactly. I’m glad he hates the Bruins. I hope the rest of the Rangers do too. I hope the Bruins hate them right back. Let’s get a good rivalry heating up here- it’s been a long time since Avs/Wings, after all, and the Bruins just don’t see the Canucks often enough for that to build further.

6. 2dollarpbrs - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM

He likes all the Boston teams except the Bruins?? What is he an Islanders fan?

7. mornelithe - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM

In other news, Brian Boyle confuses the term hate with jealousy.

• grillmarks - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM

“I [jealousy] the Bruins. I [jealousy] them with a passion.”

No, that doesn’t work.

8. kangarooparm - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Bruins hadn’t won since the 70’s until last year. Calm down Bruins fans. The Rangers are right there with you this year, it would be a nice playoff series.

9. cfab44 - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Rangers in 1st place , Bruins…. not in 1st place. keep hating on new york, it only makes our victories that much better hahaaaa

10. itsallniceonice - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

BC sucks!

11. highpowered350 - Feb 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Bahston Sawks Cack

12. 8man - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Both teams are going to the playoffs which, by the way, begin in April. That’s a long time from now and a lot of games. I seriously doubt the team with the extra game at home will have that serious an edge. Let’s see what happens then.

Besides, we Bruins fans know it’s all about getting into the playoffs and then performing.

13. tmjm621 - Feb 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I now have even more respect for brian boyle…screw boston

14. odj810 - Feb 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM

he doesn’t hate them at all. he grew up just outside of boston. nice try playing up to the media. but yea rangers are a good team built for the playoffs. no debating that. can’t wait for this playoff series

15. pooinyourface - Feb 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Hen heh Rags fans, 4 cups in 85 years with 6 teams in the league and they think they’re special lol

16. mgp1219 - Feb 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Boston = 7 titles in the past 11 years (Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox)
    NY = 3 (Yankees, Giants)