Feb 14, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
Not every Central Division team celebrated the extension of a streak tonight.
Rather than eye-balling the divisional standings, the Blackhawks’ focus is simply to make the playoffs now.
Their 29 wins act as a tie-breaker, but the Blackhawks are essentially tied with the Los Angeles Kings for sixth place with 65 points in 57 games played. That puts them in danger of being usurped by the eighth place Phoenix Coyotes as well as any number of bubble teams during the stretch run.
For most of the 2011-12 season, it seemed like Chicago was beyond the late-season nail-biting finish from last year, but that’s far from a guarantee now.
Ultimately, there really are only three obvious silver linings:
1. They’re still in the West’s top eight.
2. Detroit’s run buries their struggles in the headlines, at least nationally.
3. The St. Louis Blues lost to the lowly Columbus Blue Jackets.
Hey, when you’re free-falling like the Blackhawks, sometimes you have to look a little harder for positives.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)