Feb 14, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
Responding to two separate two rants — one saying Dale Hunter was responsible for the Caps’ struggles, the other blaming Ovechkin — LeBrun put the onus on Washington’s captain, citing Ovi’s lack of consistency throughout the year.
To further illustrate his point, LeBrun asked an anonymous NHL scout for his take on the best Russian players in the league:
Let me put it to you this way, I asked an NHL scout to rank the following four Russian stars recently, Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Ilya Kovalchuk. And he answered, “Really close between Datsyuk and Malkin, they’re 1a and 1b, then it’s Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin a distant fourth.
That’s a pretty damning statement. In the span of three years, Ovechkin’s gone from arguably the greatest player on the planet to the league’s fourth-best Russian and when you consider No. 5 is probably Alex Semin — well, it just doesn’t put Ovi in the greatest light.
PHT Aside: The decline of Russian stars in the NHL is kind of staggering. Ten years ago — during the 2001-02 season — 60 Russian skaters appeared in at least one NHL game, compared to just 22 this year.
That 2001-02 season also featured:
– Four 30-goal scorers (Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Bure, Alex Kovalev and Alexei Yashin.)
– Sergei Gonchar making the NHL’s second All-Star team.
– Kovalchuk making the all-rookie team.
– Andrei Markov (Montreal), Sergei Zubov (Dallas), Alexei Zhamnov (Chicago) and Alex Mogilny (Toronto).
– Detroit won the Stanley Cup with Fedorov, Datsyuk and Igor Larionov playing key roles.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (57)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)