Feb 14, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
Responding to two separate two rants — one saying Dale Hunter was responsible for the Caps’ struggles, the other blaming Ovechkin — LeBrun put the onus on Washington’s captain, citing Ovi’s lack of consistency throughout the year.
To further illustrate his point, LeBrun asked an anonymous NHL scout for his take on the best Russian players in the league:
Let me put it to you this way, I asked an NHL scout to rank the following four Russian stars recently, Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Ilya Kovalchuk. And he answered, “Really close between Datsyuk and Malkin, they’re 1a and 1b, then it’s Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin a distant fourth.
That’s a pretty damning statement. In the span of three years, Ovechkin’s gone from arguably the greatest player on the planet to the league’s fourth-best Russian and when you consider No. 5 is probably Alex Semin — well, it just doesn’t put Ovi in the greatest light.
PHT Aside: The decline of Russian stars in the NHL is kind of staggering. Ten years ago — during the 2001-02 season — 60 Russian skaters appeared in at least one NHL game, compared to just 22 this year.
That 2001-02 season also featured:
– Four 30-goal scorers (Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Bure, Alex Kovalev and Alexei Yashin.)
– Sergei Gonchar making the NHL’s second All-Star team.
– Kovalchuk making the all-rookie team.
– Andrei Markov (Montreal), Sergei Zubov (Dallas), Alexei Zhamnov (Chicago) and Alex Mogilny (Toronto).
– Detroit won the Stanley Cup with Fedorov, Datsyuk and Igor Larionov playing key roles.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)