Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Shortly after word broke that Columbus had made captain Rich Nash available for trade, Aaron Portzline of The Dispatch caught up with No. 61 following the Blue Jackets morning skate.
So, what did Nash have to say about the rumblings?
“The last couple of weeks there have been so many rumors and when a team loses, more rumors keep on surfacing,” Nash said. “That’s it seems to be right now, is just rumors.
“I’m a Blue Jacket right now. I’ve played my whole career here and it’s a special place to me. So as of right now I’m a Blue Jacket.”
Sources tell Portzlinle that Nash hasn’t requested a move — Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, wouldn’t comment publicly — leading many to speculate the “trade Nash” idea came from last week’s meeting between owner John P. McConnell, president Mike Priest, GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick. It’s believed the idea was then floated to Resnick and Nash, with the understanding that because of his no-movement clause, Nash would have to approve any potential trade.
News of the captain possibly being dealt shook up the Jackets. Assistant captain Derek Dorsett told Portlize he doesn’t even want to contemplate such a move.
“I’m trying not to follow it too much or read too much into it,” Dorsett said. “Obviously he’s the franchise guy and I really don’t want to think of it.
“Once the time comes, I guess we’ll deal with it then. You never want to see guys like that go. It would be difficult.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15