Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
Shortly after word broke that Columbus had made captain Rich Nash available for trade, Aaron Portzline of The Dispatch caught up with No. 61 following the Blue Jackets morning skate.
So, what did Nash have to say about the rumblings?
“The last couple of weeks there have been so many rumors and when a team loses, more rumors keep on surfacing,” Nash said. “That’s it seems to be right now, is just rumors.
“I’m a Blue Jacket right now. I’ve played my whole career here and it’s a special place to me. So as of right now I’m a Blue Jacket.”
Sources tell Portzlinle that Nash hasn’t requested a move — Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, wouldn’t comment publicly — leading many to speculate the “trade Nash” idea came from last week’s meeting between owner John P. McConnell, president Mike Priest, GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick. It’s believed the idea was then floated to Resnick and Nash, with the understanding that because of his no-movement clause, Nash would have to approve any potential trade.
News of the captain possibly being dealt shook up the Jackets. Assistant captain Derek Dorsett told Portlize he doesn’t even want to contemplate such a move.
“I’m trying not to follow it too much or read too much into it,” Dorsett said. “Obviously he’s the franchise guy and I really don’t want to think of it.
“Once the time comes, I guess we’ll deal with it then. You never want to see guys like that go. It would be difficult.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4