Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Shortly after word broke that Columbus had made captain Rich Nash available for trade, Aaron Portzline of The Dispatch caught up with No. 61 following the Blue Jackets morning skate.
So, what did Nash have to say about the rumblings?
“The last couple of weeks there have been so many rumors and when a team loses, more rumors keep on surfacing,” Nash said. “That’s it seems to be right now, is just rumors.
“I’m a Blue Jacket right now. I’ve played my whole career here and it’s a special place to me. So as of right now I’m a Blue Jacket.”
Sources tell Portzlinle that Nash hasn’t requested a move — Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, wouldn’t comment publicly — leading many to speculate the “trade Nash” idea came from last week’s meeting between owner John P. McConnell, president Mike Priest, GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick. It’s believed the idea was then floated to Resnick and Nash, with the understanding that because of his no-movement clause, Nash would have to approve any potential trade.
News of the captain possibly being dealt shook up the Jackets. Assistant captain Derek Dorsett told Portlize he doesn’t even want to contemplate such a move.
“I’m trying not to follow it too much or read too much into it,” Dorsett said. “Obviously he’s the franchise guy and I really don’t want to think of it.
“Once the time comes, I guess we’ll deal with it then. You never want to see guys like that go. It would be difficult.”
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 13
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)