Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Shortly after word broke that Columbus had made captain Rich Nash available for trade, Aaron Portzline of The Dispatch caught up with No. 61 following the Blue Jackets morning skate.
So, what did Nash have to say about the rumblings?
“The last couple of weeks there have been so many rumors and when a team loses, more rumors keep on surfacing,” Nash said. “That’s it seems to be right now, is just rumors.
“I’m a Blue Jacket right now. I’ve played my whole career here and it’s a special place to me. So as of right now I’m a Blue Jacket.”
Sources tell Portzlinle that Nash hasn’t requested a move — Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, wouldn’t comment publicly — leading many to speculate the “trade Nash” idea came from last week’s meeting between owner John P. McConnell, president Mike Priest, GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick. It’s believed the idea was then floated to Resnick and Nash, with the understanding that because of his no-movement clause, Nash would have to approve any potential trade.
News of the captain possibly being dealt shook up the Jackets. Assistant captain Derek Dorsett told Portlize he doesn’t even want to contemplate such a move.
“I’m trying not to follow it too much or read too much into it,” Dorsett said. “Obviously he’s the franchise guy and I really don’t want to think of it.
“Once the time comes, I guess we’ll deal with it then. You never want to see guys like that go. It would be difficult.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)