Feb 14, 2012, 6:11 PM EST
If you’re looking for clues to when Nathan Horton might return to action, a fairly big hint was dropped today.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reports Horton won’t travel with the Bruins as they set out on a six-game, 11-day roadie beginning Wednesday in Montreal. That’s followed by dates in Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, Buffalo and Ottawa — all told, Boston will be on the road until Saturday, Feb. 25 and barring a dramatic turnaround, Horton won’t experience any of those thrilling locales.
The Bruins have called up Josh Hennessy from AHL Providence as the extra forward and judging by what head coach Claude Julien had to say, Hennessy should be with the Bs for the majority (if not all of) the trip.
“When you get some injuries to [Horton] and you have extra forwards, you want to bring somebody along,” said Claude Julien. “I think it serves both purposes to make players understand that you’re not pulling your weight around; that there is somebody that can take your spot.
“But at the same time if there’s an injury on this road trip it’s a lot easier to bring the guy along if he’s been around on the team than just fly him in and expect him to jump in there and do the job.”
Horton hasn’t played since Jan. 21 after suffering a concussion against Philadelphia. He’s missed the last six games — it’ll be seven after tonight’s tilt against the Rangers — and suffered a setback in recovery last week, forcing the Bruins to shut him down.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 9
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 2
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 54
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)