Feb 14, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Another day, another dramatic practice in Montreal.
This time, the drama surrounded Canadiens forward Scott Gomez and assistant coach Randy Ladouceur. Ladouceur, upset with Gomez’s perceived lack of effort during a drill, let the struggling center have it courtesy a verbal tirade.
Gomez — he of the one goal scored this season — responded with a tirade of his own.
Depending on who you believe, this incident was either an ordinary, run-of-the-mill argument or a precursor to something bigger.
Player and coaches (read: people that generally tend to understate everything) say it was no big deal — head coach Randy Cunneyworth smiled when discussing the shouting match and Gomez said stuff like this “happens every day.”
But reporters (read: people that generally tend to overstate everything) contend this was a blowup for the ages. Many media members thought Gomez and Ladouceur were going to come to blows; there was also this, from the Globe and Mail:
Veteran team observers say it’s been many years since they’ve seen a spat like this, and compare it to a memorable 1996 argument between then-coach Mario Tremblay and enforcer Donald Brashear. That one got so bad that Brashear was sent to the dressing room, and was traded a few days later to the Vancouver Canucks.
We probably won’t see a similar situation unfold here, because nobody’s trading for Gomez’s contract. That thing is like the gym membership from hell.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)