Feb 14, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Mike Knuble hasn’t asked out of Washington yet, but he’s not ruling it out as the Feb. 27 trade deadline nears. The 39-year-old that’s been a healthy scratch the last three games spoke to reporters today about his future with the Capitals.
“We’re two weeks before the trade deadline,” said Knuble, as per CSNWashington.com. “If a player is not going to be used, or in the near future you’re not in their plans, then that player probably wouldn’t want to be there.
“That’s how we are. You want to go somewhere where you’re going to play and contribute to the team. If you can’t do it in one place, then you’ve got to go.”
Knuble isn’t sitting in the press box for no reason. He only has three goals in 53 games after scoring 24 times last season.
Despite the ugly stat line, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty thinks Knuble could be a fit on the Bruins.
[He’s] a wide-bodied 6-foot-3, 227-pounder with the grit and ridiculous courage to plop himself in front of the net no matter who’s shooting at it.
Knuble is also still in search of his first full time Stanley Cup ring (he played a total of three playoff games for the 1997-98 Red Wings Cup winner) and could fill a veteran role nicely with the Bruins — a Mark Recchi type — with his leadership and net-front presence.
Knuble’s contract expires on July 1, so picking him up wouldn’t be a huge risk for a B’s team with plenty of cap space. Washington really won’t be able to ask for much in return.
What’s ironic in all this trade talk is, if you had to pick one team that could use some veteran leadership, wouldn’t you have to seriously consider the Caps?
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)