Feb 14, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Mike Knuble hasn’t asked out of Washington yet, but he’s not ruling it out as the Feb. 27 trade deadline nears. The 39-year-old that’s been a healthy scratch the last three games spoke to reporters today about his future with the Capitals.
“We’re two weeks before the trade deadline,” said Knuble, as per CSNWashington.com. “If a player is not going to be used, or in the near future you’re not in their plans, then that player probably wouldn’t want to be there.
“That’s how we are. You want to go somewhere where you’re going to play and contribute to the team. If you can’t do it in one place, then you’ve got to go.”
Knuble isn’t sitting in the press box for no reason. He only has three goals in 53 games after scoring 24 times last season.
Despite the ugly stat line, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty thinks Knuble could be a fit on the Bruins.
[He’s] a wide-bodied 6-foot-3, 227-pounder with the grit and ridiculous courage to plop himself in front of the net no matter who’s shooting at it.
Knuble is also still in search of his first full time Stanley Cup ring (he played a total of three playoff games for the 1997-98 Red Wings Cup winner) and could fill a veteran role nicely with the Bruins — a Mark Recchi type — with his leadership and net-front presence.
Knuble’s contract expires on July 1, so picking him up wouldn’t be a huge risk for a B’s team with plenty of cap space. Washington really won’t be able to ask for much in return.
What’s ironic in all this trade talk is, if you had to pick one team that could use some veteran leadership, wouldn’t you have to seriously consider the Caps?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)