Feb 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s a pretty interesting article — Farber digs deep into Marchand’s history to try and figure out how he’s become arguably the most hated (and therefore, most effective) pest in hockey.
Oh yeah, Farber also pulled some great Nose Face quotes.
Here’s Marchand discussing his five-game suspension for clipping Vancouver defenseman Sami Salo:
“If Vancouver kept their mouth shut, which they rarely do, I don’t think there would have been as much publicity about the hit and don’t think there would have been as long a suspension.”
And here’s Marchand on his penchant for post-whistle activity:
“Some guys don’t engage in that stuff. Some do. But the play doesn’t end with the whistle.”
Finally, here’s Farber and Marchand on celebrating Boston’s Stanley Cup victory:
Obviously Marchand was happy to give the shirt off his back to win the Stanley Cup, which he did in some widely disseminated photos taken at a team party three nights after Game 7, at Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Conn. Marchand was excused from scheduled interviews for the official Stanley Cup DVD because at 4 p.m. the next day he had what the NHL might describe as an inner-body injury.
Or as Marchand puts it, he was “intoxicated.”
“[After the Cup, linemate Tyler Seguin] and I went on a bit of a tear, partying pretty much every night for a while. I went home and kinda continued it. I thought [winning a championship] was something that might never happen, so I was trying to take it all in, enjoy it…. My dad sat me down and sorta gave me a lashing. He told me if we win two of the next three years, he’d leave me alone.”
Farber also does a tremendous job of detailing the nicknames Marchand has obtained through the years: Little Ball of Hate, Squirrel, Weapon of Mass Distraction, Tomahawk, Rat, Pigeon, Brat and, of course, Nose Face Killah.
(He fails to mention Marshmont or Honey Badger, which is probably intentional.)
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 8
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)