Feb 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
It’s a pretty interesting article — Farber digs deep into Marchand’s history to try and figure out how he’s become arguably the most hated (and therefore, most effective) pest in hockey.
Oh yeah, Farber also pulled some great Nose Face quotes.
Here’s Marchand discussing his five-game suspension for clipping Vancouver defenseman Sami Salo:
“If Vancouver kept their mouth shut, which they rarely do, I don’t think there would have been as much publicity about the hit and don’t think there would have been as long a suspension.”
And here’s Marchand on his penchant for post-whistle activity:
“Some guys don’t engage in that stuff. Some do. But the play doesn’t end with the whistle.”
Finally, here’s Farber and Marchand on celebrating Boston’s Stanley Cup victory:
Obviously Marchand was happy to give the shirt off his back to win the Stanley Cup, which he did in some widely disseminated photos taken at a team party three nights after Game 7, at Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Conn. Marchand was excused from scheduled interviews for the official Stanley Cup DVD because at 4 p.m. the next day he had what the NHL might describe as an inner-body injury.
Or as Marchand puts it, he was “intoxicated.”
“[After the Cup, linemate Tyler Seguin] and I went on a bit of a tear, partying pretty much every night for a while. I went home and kinda continued it. I thought [winning a championship] was something that might never happen, so I was trying to take it all in, enjoy it…. My dad sat me down and sorta gave me a lashing. He told me if we win two of the next three years, he’d leave me alone.”
Farber also does a tremendous job of detailing the nicknames Marchand has obtained through the years: Little Ball of Hate, Squirrel, Weapon of Mass Distraction, Tomahawk, Rat, Pigeon, Brat and, of course, Nose Face Killah.
(He fails to mention Marshmont or Honey Badger, which is probably intentional.)
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 5
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 6
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 16
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 29
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 39
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)