Feb 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s a pretty interesting article — Farber digs deep into Marchand’s history to try and figure out how he’s become arguably the most hated (and therefore, most effective) pest in hockey.
Oh yeah, Farber also pulled some great Nose Face quotes.
Here’s Marchand discussing his five-game suspension for clipping Vancouver defenseman Sami Salo:
“If Vancouver kept their mouth shut, which they rarely do, I don’t think there would have been as much publicity about the hit and don’t think there would have been as long a suspension.”
And here’s Marchand on his penchant for post-whistle activity:
“Some guys don’t engage in that stuff. Some do. But the play doesn’t end with the whistle.”
Finally, here’s Farber and Marchand on celebrating Boston’s Stanley Cup victory:
Obviously Marchand was happy to give the shirt off his back to win the Stanley Cup, which he did in some widely disseminated photos taken at a team party three nights after Game 7, at Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Conn. Marchand was excused from scheduled interviews for the official Stanley Cup DVD because at 4 p.m. the next day he had what the NHL might describe as an inner-body injury.
Or as Marchand puts it, he was “intoxicated.”
“[After the Cup, linemate Tyler Seguin] and I went on a bit of a tear, partying pretty much every night for a while. I went home and kinda continued it. I thought [winning a championship] was something that might never happen, so I was trying to take it all in, enjoy it…. My dad sat me down and sorta gave me a lashing. He told me if we win two of the next three years, he’d leave me alone.”
Farber also does a tremendous job of detailing the nicknames Marchand has obtained through the years: Little Ball of Hate, Squirrel, Weapon of Mass Distraction, Tomahawk, Rat, Pigeon, Brat and, of course, Nose Face Killah.
(He fails to mention Marshmont or Honey Badger, which is probably intentional.)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)