Feb 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s a pretty interesting article — Farber digs deep into Marchand’s history to try and figure out how he’s become arguably the most hated (and therefore, most effective) pest in hockey.
Oh yeah, Farber also pulled some great Nose Face quotes.
Here’s Marchand discussing his five-game suspension for clipping Vancouver defenseman Sami Salo:
“If Vancouver kept their mouth shut, which they rarely do, I don’t think there would have been as much publicity about the hit and don’t think there would have been as long a suspension.”
And here’s Marchand on his penchant for post-whistle activity:
“Some guys don’t engage in that stuff. Some do. But the play doesn’t end with the whistle.”
Finally, here’s Farber and Marchand on celebrating Boston’s Stanley Cup victory:
Obviously Marchand was happy to give the shirt off his back to win the Stanley Cup, which he did in some widely disseminated photos taken at a team party three nights after Game 7, at Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Conn. Marchand was excused from scheduled interviews for the official Stanley Cup DVD because at 4 p.m. the next day he had what the NHL might describe as an inner-body injury.
Or as Marchand puts it, he was “intoxicated.”
“[After the Cup, linemate Tyler Seguin] and I went on a bit of a tear, partying pretty much every night for a while. I went home and kinda continued it. I thought [winning a championship] was something that might never happen, so I was trying to take it all in, enjoy it…. My dad sat me down and sorta gave me a lashing. He told me if we win two of the next three years, he’d leave me alone.”
Farber also does a tremendous job of detailing the nicknames Marchand has obtained through the years: Little Ball of Hate, Squirrel, Weapon of Mass Distraction, Tomahawk, Rat, Pigeon, Brat and, of course, Nose Face Killah.
(He fails to mention Marshmont or Honey Badger, which is probably intentional.)
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)