Feb 13, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
Fill-in-the-blank bloggers are enduring a rough week-or-so.
First Scott Gomez finally scored a goal, ruining approximately five million knee-jerk Twitter memes in the process. Now the trade rumor community is holding its collective breath as Carolina Hurricanes power forward Tuomo Ruutu left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury and Chip Alexander reports that he won’t return.
In case you haven’t noticed, Ruutu has been the go-to choice for hypothetical trades for just about any team in need of a top-six forward (particularly one with some grit). Ruutu’s rugged game has its drawbacks, however, as he tends to take at least as much abuse as he dishes out.
It’s too early to tell if this is just a small hiccup or a big problem, but considering the notable lack of “sellers” in the trade market, things could get a lot less interesting in the rumor mill. /sheds single tear
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 0
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)