Feb 13, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Fill-in-the-blank bloggers are enduring a rough week-or-so.
First Scott Gomez finally scored a goal, ruining approximately five million knee-jerk Twitter memes in the process. Now the trade rumor community is holding its collective breath as Carolina Hurricanes power forward Tuomo Ruutu left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury and Chip Alexander reports that he won’t return.
In case you haven’t noticed, Ruutu has been the go-to choice for hypothetical trades for just about any team in need of a top-six forward (particularly one with some grit). Ruutu’s rugged game has its drawbacks, however, as he tends to take at least as much abuse as he dishes out.
It’s too early to tell if this is just a small hiccup or a big problem, but considering the notable lack of “sellers” in the trade market, things could get a lot less interesting in the rumor mill. /sheds single tear
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)