Feb 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
After some digging, it turns out this report is totally true. Even though three Hall of Fame goalies plied their trade in St. Louis (Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante and Grant Fuhr ) it’s Halak — who has been a Blue for exactly one year, seven months and 27 days — that just passed the immortal Roman Turek for the No. 2 spot.
Shocking? Well, not really when you consider what the future holds — four more shutouts and Halak becomes St. Louis’ all-time leader.
At the rate Halak is going, he could have the record by March. He has five shutouts in his last 10 games and boasts a 1.97 GAA (fourth in the NHL) with a .922 save percentage.
This tells you two things: 1) Halak is having a very good season and 2) The franchise’s all-time shutout leaders list is bizarre. Consider the top 10:
1. Glenn Hall– 16
T-2. Jaroslav Halak — 13
(Still feel like this happened too quickly)
T-2. Roman Turek — 13
(Along with Cechmanek, proved goalies named Roman aren’t trustworthy)
4. Brent Johnson — 12
(Now the backup in Pittsburgh)
5. Grant Fuhr — 11
(Was 33 when he went to St. Loo)
T-6. Mike Liut — 10
(Even though he leads the Blues in appearances, I refuse to acknowledge him as anything other than a Whaler)
T-6. Manny Legace — 10
(Just had a “Oh wow, he was their starter for a while!” flashback)
T- 6. Jacques Plante — 10
(Won a Vezina, got traded to Toronto, made the All-Star team. Good trade, St. Loo.)
9. Greg Millen — 9
(Remember when he played for Quebec? Yeah, me neither)
10. Chris Mason — 8
(No. 3 on Nashville’s list!)
Meanwhile, ol’ Curtis Joseph — who played 280 games for St. Louis, second-most of all time — sits in 14th, behind both Jamie McLennan and Ty Conklin.
Speaking of Joseph, he’ll likely soon be passed by Brian Elliott, who in 26 games has as many shutouts (five) as Joseph did from 1989-95.
In conclusion, St. Louis’ goaltending history is weird.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)