Feb 13, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Backlund was hurt Saturday against the Canucks in an altercation with big defenseman Andrew Alberts. (Note to Backlund: don’t mix it up with guys like Alberts.)
The news is especially bad timing for Calgary. Not only are the Flames in a desperate race for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, they recently traded veteran center Brendan Morrison to Chicago after Backlund, 22, had established himself as the team’s second-line center.
We suppose Matt Stajan will fill Backlund’s role if the official word confirms McKenzie’s tweet. And we suppose Flames fans aren’t thrilled with that.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup