Feb 13, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Backlund was hurt Saturday against the Canucks in an altercation with big defenseman Andrew Alberts. (Note to Backlund: don’t mix it up with guys like Alberts.)
The news is especially bad timing for Calgary. Not only are the Flames in a desperate race for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, they recently traded veteran center Brendan Morrison to Chicago after Backlund, 22, had established himself as the team’s second-line center.
We suppose Matt Stajan will fill Backlund’s role if the official word confirms McKenzie’s tweet. And we suppose Flames fans aren’t thrilled with that.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5