Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
The Flyers aren’t going to make excuses for their poor defensive play of late. They’re without Chris Pronger the rest of the year and they’ve been rolling with more than a few rookies on the blue line to make up for other injuries and poor play.
To put it simply, the Flyers could use some help on defense and with the trade deadline coming up, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is on the prowl. As Holmgren tells Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, however, finding what will help the Flyers go deep in the playoffs won’t be easy.
“Everybody is looking for defensemen,” Holmgren said. “Even the teams that have it try to load it up this time of year with defensemen.”
Who’s out there to try and grab? Panaccio mentions Montreal’s Hal Gill and Dallas’ Nicklas Grossman as possible targets. Gill has a winning pedigree after being a key part of the Penguins’ defense in their 2009 Stanley Cup run. Grossman is just 27-years-old and plays a sound defensive game.
The Flyers’ recent struggles may be altering how things will set up for the future, but if Philly thinks that young guys like Erik Gustafsson and Marc-Andre Bourdon are the missing links to a Stanley Cup, it might be another disappointing year in Philadelphia.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 7
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 36
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on