Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
The Flyers aren’t going to make excuses for their poor defensive play of late. They’re without Chris Pronger the rest of the year and they’ve been rolling with more than a few rookies on the blue line to make up for other injuries and poor play.
To put it simply, the Flyers could use some help on defense and with the trade deadline coming up, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is on the prowl. As Holmgren tells Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, however, finding what will help the Flyers go deep in the playoffs won’t be easy.
“Everybody is looking for defensemen,” Holmgren said. “Even the teams that have it try to load it up this time of year with defensemen.”
Who’s out there to try and grab? Panaccio mentions Montreal’s Hal Gill and Dallas’ Nicklas Grossman as possible targets. Gill has a winning pedigree after being a key part of the Penguins’ defense in their 2009 Stanley Cup run. Grossman is just 27-years-old and plays a sound defensive game.
The Flyers’ recent struggles may be altering how things will set up for the future, but if Philly thinks that young guys like Erik Gustafsson and Marc-Andre Bourdon are the missing links to a Stanley Cup, it might be another disappointing year in Philadelphia.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)