Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
The Flyers aren’t going to make excuses for their poor defensive play of late. They’re without Chris Pronger the rest of the year and they’ve been rolling with more than a few rookies on the blue line to make up for other injuries and poor play.
To put it simply, the Flyers could use some help on defense and with the trade deadline coming up, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is on the prowl. As Holmgren tells Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, however, finding what will help the Flyers go deep in the playoffs won’t be easy.
“Everybody is looking for defensemen,” Holmgren said. “Even the teams that have it try to load it up this time of year with defensemen.”
Who’s out there to try and grab? Panaccio mentions Montreal’s Hal Gill and Dallas’ Nicklas Grossman as possible targets. Gill has a winning pedigree after being a key part of the Penguins’ defense in their 2009 Stanley Cup run. Grossman is just 27-years-old and plays a sound defensive game.
The Flyers’ recent struggles may be altering how things will set up for the future, but if Philly thinks that young guys like Erik Gustafsson and Marc-Andre Bourdon are the missing links to a Stanley Cup, it might be another disappointing year in Philadelphia.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 99
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)