Feb 13, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
After rattling off four straight wins and posting a 0.74 goals-against average, Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Smith, 29, was instrumental in pushing the desert dogs to eighth place in the Western Conference. He stopped 29 of 30 shots against Detroit, 27 of 28 against Dallas, 23 of 24 against Calgary then stopped all 38 in a brilliant shutout victory over Chicago on Saturday night. Smith now has a career-best 23 wins and .925 save percentage in 44 appearances this season.
Second star went to Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin. Capturing these sorts of awards is old hat for No. 71 — he’s been named a star of the week three times and was named the first star for December (and the second star for January.) Malkin led all skaters with eight points (3G-5A) and posted a plus-six rating in three games as the Penguins obtained five of a possible six points. The highlight of his week was a five-point effort against the Jets…his third five-point performance of the season. As such, Malkin leads the NHL in scoring with 69 points, seven up on Tampa Bay’s Steve Stamkos.
Third star went to St. Louis forward David Perron. The 23-year-old led the NHL with six goals in four games, including two goals (and an assist) in a 3-2 overtime win over Colorado on Feb. 11. Perron has been outstanding after missing 97 games with a concussion, recording 24 points in his last 30 games while helping St. Louis move within three points of Detroit for top spot in the Western Conference.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)