Feb 13, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
After rattling off four straight wins and posting a 0.74 goals-against average, Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Smith, 29, was instrumental in pushing the desert dogs to eighth place in the Western Conference. He stopped 29 of 30 shots against Detroit, 27 of 28 against Dallas, 23 of 24 against Calgary then stopped all 38 in a brilliant shutout victory over Chicago on Saturday night. Smith now has a career-best 23 wins and .925 save percentage in 44 appearances this season.
Second star went to Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin. Capturing these sorts of awards is old hat for No. 71 — he’s been named a star of the week three times and was named the first star for December (and the second star for January.) Malkin led all skaters with eight points (3G-5A) and posted a plus-six rating in three games as the Penguins obtained five of a possible six points. The highlight of his week was a five-point effort against the Jets…his third five-point performance of the season. As such, Malkin leads the NHL in scoring with 69 points, seven up on Tampa Bay’s Steve Stamkos.
Third star went to St. Louis forward David Perron. The 23-year-old led the NHL with six goals in four games, including two goals (and an assist) in a 3-2 overtime win over Colorado on Feb. 11. Perron has been outstanding after missing 97 games with a concussion, recording 24 points in his last 30 games while helping St. Louis move within three points of Detroit for top spot in the Western Conference.
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 10
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 4
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 88
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (88)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness