Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
It was a short career, but an eventful one for Mike Comrie.
The 10-year NHL veteran announced his retirement from hockey today after playing in 589 games with seven different teams. Sportsnet’s Gene Principe reports Comrie’s announcement comes just two weeks after having surgery on his hip.
Comrie finished his career with 168 goals and 365 points. He played in just 21 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins before having his season ended thanks to injury. Twice Comrie was a 30-goal scorer, once with Edmonton and Phoenix each, and scored 20 goals or more three other times.
Of course, you might remember him more in recent years for marrying Hollywood starlet Hillary Duff. If you can’t win a Stanley Cup, finding a lovely bride makes for a decent win in life as well.
Getting to retire at age 31 and play the part of house dad just helps everyone get even more jealous of the guy that gets to coast on the earnings of The Brick furniture store chain in Canada, which his father Bill founded over 40 years ago.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 13
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)