Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
It was a short career, but an eventful one for Mike Comrie.
The 10-year NHL veteran announced his retirement from hockey today after playing in 589 games with seven different teams. Sportsnet’s Gene Principe reports Comrie’s announcement comes just two weeks after having surgery on his hip.
Comrie finished his career with 168 goals and 365 points. He played in just 21 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins before having his season ended thanks to injury. Twice Comrie was a 30-goal scorer, once with Edmonton and Phoenix each, and scored 20 goals or more three other times.
Of course, you might remember him more in recent years for marrying Hollywood starlet Hillary Duff. If you can’t win a Stanley Cup, finding a lovely bride makes for a decent win in life as well.
Getting to retire at age 31 and play the part of house dad just helps everyone get even more jealous of the guy that gets to coast on the earnings of The Brick furniture store chain in Canada, which his father Bill founded over 40 years ago.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)