Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
It was a short career, but an eventful one for Mike Comrie.
The 10-year NHL veteran announced his retirement from hockey today after playing in 589 games with seven different teams. Sportsnet’s Gene Principe reports Comrie’s announcement comes just two weeks after having surgery on his hip.
Comrie finished his career with 168 goals and 365 points. He played in just 21 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins before having his season ended thanks to injury. Twice Comrie was a 30-goal scorer, once with Edmonton and Phoenix each, and scored 20 goals or more three other times.
Of course, you might remember him more in recent years for marrying Hollywood starlet Hillary Duff. If you can’t win a Stanley Cup, finding a lovely bride makes for a decent win in life as well.
Getting to retire at age 31 and play the part of house dad just helps everyone get even more jealous of the guy that gets to coast on the earnings of The Brick furniture store chain in Canada, which his father Bill founded over 40 years ago.
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 9
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)