Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 AM EST
It was a short career, but an eventful one for Mike Comrie.
The 10-year NHL veteran announced his retirement from hockey today after playing in 589 games with seven different teams. Sportsnet’s Gene Principe reports Comrie’s announcement comes just two weeks after having surgery on his hip.
Comrie finished his career with 168 goals and 365 points. He played in just 21 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins before having his season ended thanks to injury. Twice Comrie was a 30-goal scorer, once with Edmonton and Phoenix each, and scored 20 goals or more three other times.
Of course, you might remember him more in recent years for marrying Hollywood starlet Hillary Duff. If you can’t win a Stanley Cup, finding a lovely bride makes for a decent win in life as well.
Getting to retire at age 31 and play the part of house dad just helps everyone get even more jealous of the guy that gets to coast on the earnings of The Brick furniture store chain in Canada, which his father Bill founded over 40 years ago.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)