Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 AM EST
It was a short career, but an eventful one for Mike Comrie.
The 10-year NHL veteran announced his retirement from hockey today after playing in 589 games with seven different teams. Sportsnet’s Gene Principe reports Comrie’s announcement comes just two weeks after having surgery on his hip.
Comrie finished his career with 168 goals and 365 points. He played in just 21 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins before having his season ended thanks to injury. Twice Comrie was a 30-goal scorer, once with Edmonton and Phoenix each, and scored 20 goals or more three other times.
Of course, you might remember him more in recent years for marrying Hollywood starlet Hillary Duff. If you can’t win a Stanley Cup, finding a lovely bride makes for a decent win in life as well.
Getting to retire at age 31 and play the part of house dad just helps everyone get even more jealous of the guy that gets to coast on the earnings of The Brick furniture store chain in Canada, which his father Bill founded over 40 years ago.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (141)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)