Feb 13, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Hockey Central — an NHL analysis show featuring ex-NHLer Nick Kypreos and former GM/coach Doug MacLean — was at its rumor-filled best this afternoon on Toronto’s FAN 590, discussing the current plight of the Chicago Blackhawks.
In the midst of an eight-game losing streak and sitting 27th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (3.00), the ‘Hawks have tumbled to sixth in the West, just three points up on eighth-place Phoenix.
The question: Could these defensive/goaltending struggles be enough for Chicago to consider dangling Patrick Kane?
Here’s what show host Darren Millard tweeted:
Here’s the transcript of what Kypreos had to say:
I look at Chicago and I see Pat Kane with 12 goals, and I’m sitting there going, “Something’s not right, something’s not right.” Fifty-six games, he’s playing 20 minutes a game and he’s got 12 goals. I don’t know if they think that maybe just getting a goalie — whether it’s [Evgeni] Nabokov, or you go to the extreme and you get Ryan Miller out of Buffalo — but it just can’t be about goaltending here.
You wonder whether maybe, between [Jonathan] Toews, [Marian] Hossa, [Patrick] Sharp, that you wouldn’t dangle a Patrick Kane? Maybe it’s time?
I tell you what — you can fix a lot if you decide to move him.
Should also be noted that Kane’s a Buffalo native and was a huge Sabres fan growing up — Miller, meanwhile, was a former teammate of Duncan Keith‘s at Michigan State. Despite the inherent risk of reading too much into these purely coincidental relationships, OMG, KANE IS GETTING TRADED FOR MILLER.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)