Feb 13, 2012, 3:57 PM EST
Hockey Central — an NHL analysis show featuring ex-NHLer Nick Kypreos and former GM/coach Doug MacLean — was at its rumor-filled best this afternoon on Toronto’s FAN 590, discussing the current plight of the Chicago Blackhawks.
In the midst of an eight-game losing streak and sitting 27th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (3.00), the ‘Hawks have tumbled to sixth in the West, just three points up on eighth-place Phoenix.
The question: Could these defensive/goaltending struggles be enough for Chicago to consider dangling Patrick Kane?
Here’s what show host Darren Millard tweeted:
Here’s the transcript of what Kypreos had to say:
I look at Chicago and I see Pat Kane with 12 goals, and I’m sitting there going, “Something’s not right, something’s not right.” Fifty-six games, he’s playing 20 minutes a game and he’s got 12 goals. I don’t know if they think that maybe just getting a goalie — whether it’s [Evgeni] Nabokov, or you go to the extreme and you get Ryan Miller out of Buffalo — but it just can’t be about goaltending here.
You wonder whether maybe, between [Jonathan] Toews, [Marian] Hossa, [Patrick] Sharp, that you wouldn’t dangle a Patrick Kane? Maybe it’s time?
I tell you what — you can fix a lot if you decide to move him.
Should also be noted that Kane’s a Buffalo native and was a huge Sabres fan growing up — Miller, meanwhile, was a former teammate of Duncan Keith‘s at Michigan State. Despite the inherent risk of reading too much into these purely coincidental relationships, OMG, KANE IS GETTING TRADED FOR MILLER.
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 0
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58