Feb 13, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Hockey Central — an NHL analysis show featuring ex-NHLer Nick Kypreos and former GM/coach Doug MacLean — was at its rumor-filled best this afternoon on Toronto’s FAN 590, discussing the current plight of the Chicago Blackhawks.
In the midst of an eight-game losing streak and sitting 27th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (3.00), the ‘Hawks have tumbled to sixth in the West, just three points up on eighth-place Phoenix.
The question: Could these defensive/goaltending struggles be enough for Chicago to consider dangling Patrick Kane?
Here’s what show host Darren Millard tweeted:
Here’s the transcript of what Kypreos had to say:
I look at Chicago and I see Pat Kane with 12 goals, and I’m sitting there going, “Something’s not right, something’s not right.” Fifty-six games, he’s playing 20 minutes a game and he’s got 12 goals. I don’t know if they think that maybe just getting a goalie — whether it’s [Evgeni] Nabokov, or you go to the extreme and you get Ryan Miller out of Buffalo — but it just can’t be about goaltending here.
You wonder whether maybe, between [Jonathan] Toews, [Marian] Hossa, [Patrick] Sharp, that you wouldn’t dangle a Patrick Kane? Maybe it’s time?
I tell you what — you can fix a lot if you decide to move him.
Should also be noted that Kane’s a Buffalo native and was a huge Sabres fan growing up — Miller, meanwhile, was a former teammate of Duncan Keith‘s at Michigan State. Despite the inherent risk of reading too much into these purely coincidental relationships, OMG, KANE IS GETTING TRADED FOR MILLER.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)