Feb 13, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Hockey Central — an NHL analysis show featuring ex-NHLer Nick Kypreos and former GM/coach Doug MacLean — was at its rumor-filled best this afternoon on Toronto’s FAN 590, discussing the current plight of the Chicago Blackhawks.
In the midst of an eight-game losing streak and sitting 27th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (3.00), the ‘Hawks have tumbled to sixth in the West, just three points up on eighth-place Phoenix.
The question: Could these defensive/goaltending struggles be enough for Chicago to consider dangling Patrick Kane?
Here’s what show host Darren Millard tweeted:
Here’s the transcript of what Kypreos had to say:
I look at Chicago and I see Pat Kane with 12 goals, and I’m sitting there going, “Something’s not right, something’s not right.” Fifty-six games, he’s playing 20 minutes a game and he’s got 12 goals. I don’t know if they think that maybe just getting a goalie — whether it’s [Evgeni] Nabokov, or you go to the extreme and you get Ryan Miller out of Buffalo — but it just can’t be about goaltending here.
You wonder whether maybe, between [Jonathan] Toews, [Marian] Hossa, [Patrick] Sharp, that you wouldn’t dangle a Patrick Kane? Maybe it’s time?
I tell you what — you can fix a lot if you decide to move him.
Should also be noted that Kane’s a Buffalo native and was a huge Sabres fan growing up — Miller, meanwhile, was a former teammate of Duncan Keith‘s at Michigan State. Despite the inherent risk of reading too much into these purely coincidental relationships, OMG, KANE IS GETTING TRADED FOR MILLER.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)