Feb 13, 2012, 3:57 PM EST
Hockey Central — an NHL analysis show featuring ex-NHLer Nick Kypreos and former GM/coach Doug MacLean — was at its rumor-filled best this afternoon on Toronto’s FAN 590, discussing the current plight of the Chicago Blackhawks.
In the midst of an eight-game losing streak and sitting 27th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (3.00), the ‘Hawks have tumbled to sixth in the West, just three points up on eighth-place Phoenix.
The question: Could these defensive/goaltending struggles be enough for Chicago to consider dangling Patrick Kane?
Here’s what show host Darren Millard tweeted:
Here’s the transcript of what Kypreos had to say:
I look at Chicago and I see Pat Kane with 12 goals, and I’m sitting there going, “Something’s not right, something’s not right.” Fifty-six games, he’s playing 20 minutes a game and he’s got 12 goals. I don’t know if they think that maybe just getting a goalie — whether it’s [Evgeni] Nabokov, or you go to the extreme and you get Ryan Miller out of Buffalo — but it just can’t be about goaltending here.
You wonder whether maybe, between [Jonathan] Toews, [Marian] Hossa, [Patrick] Sharp, that you wouldn’t dangle a Patrick Kane? Maybe it’s time?
I tell you what — you can fix a lot if you decide to move him.
Should also be noted that Kane’s a Buffalo native and was a huge Sabres fan growing up — Miller, meanwhile, was a former teammate of Duncan Keith‘s at Michigan State. Despite the inherent risk of reading too much into these purely coincidental relationships, OMG, KANE IS GETTING TRADED FOR MILLER.
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 5
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)