Feb 13, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
It’s expected Mike Knuble will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game when the Capitals host the Sharks tonight.
No surprise, then, that the 39-year-old was rather blunt in explaining how it feels to be benched at such a key point of the season.
“It sucks, quite frankly, to be sitting out and missing games and watching your team play,” Knuble told ABC7 Washington. “It’s the best time of year to play.”
Knuble — the oldest player on Washington’s roster — seems to have run afoul of head coach Dale Hunter, who is only 12 years older than his assistant captain (the two actually played against each other in 1997-98.) Knuble said he spoke with his coach about why he was a healthy scratch the last two games with the coach replying, “You haven’t scored in a while, bad plus-minus.”
It’ll be curious to see what Washington does with Knuble as the trade deadline nears. The Toronto Sun speculated San Jose could be a good fit becuase of his history from playing in Boston with Joe Thornton, but whatever the case, it feels like Knuble will have to go before this situation becomes too big a distraction. Even though Knuble’s production has fallen through the floor, he’s a key, vocal presence on the team (remember his speech from 24/7?) and likely won’t stay quiet if he continues to be a healthy scratch.
“You never accept it, say ‘fine’ and sweep it under the rug and wake up tomorrow,” Knuble said. “You never accept it.
“When you do, as a player, then it’s over.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 0
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 44
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 61
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)