Feb 13, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
It’s expected Mike Knuble will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game when the Capitals host the Sharks tonight.
No surprise, then, that the 39-year-old was rather blunt in explaining how it feels to be benched at such a key point of the season.
“It sucks, quite frankly, to be sitting out and missing games and watching your team play,” Knuble told ABC7 Washington. “It’s the best time of year to play.”
Knuble — the oldest player on Washington’s roster — seems to have run afoul of head coach Dale Hunter, who is only 12 years older than his assistant captain (the two actually played against each other in 1997-98.) Knuble said he spoke with his coach about why he was a healthy scratch the last two games with the coach replying, “You haven’t scored in a while, bad plus-minus.”
It’ll be curious to see what Washington does with Knuble as the trade deadline nears. The Toronto Sun speculated San Jose could be a good fit becuase of his history from playing in Boston with Joe Thornton, but whatever the case, it feels like Knuble will have to go before this situation becomes too big a distraction. Even though Knuble’s production has fallen through the floor, he’s a key, vocal presence on the team (remember his speech from 24/7?) and likely won’t stay quiet if he continues to be a healthy scratch.
“You never accept it, say ‘fine’ and sweep it under the rug and wake up tomorrow,” Knuble said. “You never accept it.
“When you do, as a player, then it’s over.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)