Feb 13, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Friday night as Dartmouth takes on Yale.
After last Monday’s Beanpot Tournament semifinals, the two usual suspects get to square off one more time to see who the best college team in Boston is. When No. 1 Boston University and No. 5 Boston College square off tonight at TD Garden, it will mean that for the 19th straight year either one of those schools will take home the Beanpot trophy.
While the two sides don’t always wind up facing each other in the finals, they’ve been the two best teams in the city for a long time and it shows. BU has taken home the Beanpot 29 times while Boston College has won it a mere 16 times. For what it’s worth, Harvard and Northeastern have combined to win it just 14 times with Harvard winning 10 of those. Tonight’s game will feature 19 NHL drafted players (nine for BC, 10 for BU) so the talent level is pretty high too.
Whether you love the tournament for all the hate BC and BU have for each other and the tradition it has in Boston or hate it because there’s not enough variety in who wins, it makes for a good way to get warmed up for the conference playoffs and NCAA Tournament that will soon be on the way.
Elsewhere in college hockey:
Jon Merrill’s return for Michigan is helping spark the Wolverines to a big second half. (New York Times)
Meanwhile, Michigan and Michigan State split their weekend rivalry series. (CHN)
Maine upset UMass-Lowell on Saturday night to possibly derail Lowell’s hopes of taking over the No. 1 spot. (USCHO)
Your first team to 20 wins this season? Bet you wouldn’t have guessed Ferris State. (USCHO)
Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota split their nasty weekend series. (CHN)
Denver swept Minnesota this weekend to shake things up in the WCHA. (LetsGoDU)
Austin Smith just keeps scoring goals for Colgate. He had two more this weekend bringing his season total to 32. Austin for Hobey, anyone? (GoColgateRaiders)
Could the NCAA be merging the Division-I and Division-III championships to have them played in the same location starting in 2015? It’s being discussed. (D3hockey)
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)