Feb 13, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Friday night as Dartmouth takes on Yale.
After last Monday’s Beanpot Tournament semifinals, the two usual suspects get to square off one more time to see who the best college team in Boston is. When No. 1 Boston University and No. 5 Boston College square off tonight at TD Garden, it will mean that for the 19th straight year either one of those schools will take home the Beanpot trophy.
While the two sides don’t always wind up facing each other in the finals, they’ve been the two best teams in the city for a long time and it shows. BU has taken home the Beanpot 29 times while Boston College has won it a mere 16 times. For what it’s worth, Harvard and Northeastern have combined to win it just 14 times with Harvard winning 10 of those. Tonight’s game will feature 19 NHL drafted players (nine for BC, 10 for BU) so the talent level is pretty high too.
Whether you love the tournament for all the hate BC and BU have for each other and the tradition it has in Boston or hate it because there’s not enough variety in who wins, it makes for a good way to get warmed up for the conference playoffs and NCAA Tournament that will soon be on the way.
Elsewhere in college hockey:
Jon Merrill’s return for Michigan is helping spark the Wolverines to a big second half. (New York Times)
Meanwhile, Michigan and Michigan State split their weekend rivalry series. (CHN)
Maine upset UMass-Lowell on Saturday night to possibly derail Lowell’s hopes of taking over the No. 1 spot. (USCHO)
Your first team to 20 wins this season? Bet you wouldn’t have guessed Ferris State. (USCHO)
Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota split their nasty weekend series. (CHN)
Denver swept Minnesota this weekend to shake things up in the WCHA. (LetsGoDU)
Austin Smith just keeps scoring goals for Colgate. He had two more this weekend bringing his season total to 32. Austin for Hobey, anyone? (GoColgateRaiders)
Could the NCAA be merging the Division-I and Division-III championships to have them played in the same location starting in 2015? It’s being discussed. (D3hockey)
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)