Feb 12, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t just in a funk after losing eight straight games, they’ve got some serious problems to deal with.
Last night’s 3-0 loss to the Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, the Blackhawks are doing a lot of introspection to figure out how they can get things turned around. During their slide Chicago has fallen to sixth in the Western Conference and are 11 points back of Detroit in the Central.
“You need every guy in the room,” said Patrick Kane, who’s been way too quiet this season. “When we were successful, whether last year or the year before, we had a lot of depth, a lot of players stepping up beyond their game. That goes for me and for anyone in the room.”
While it’s up to everyone else to help turn things around, the front office will have something to say about it as well. Myers says that change is coming for this team one way or another whether it’s via trade (to get goaltending help to relieve Corey Crawford and Ray Emery) or possibly even firing coach Joel Quenneville. As for Quenneville, he remains stoic in the face of disaster.
“We need everybody on board,” Quenneville said. “We’re not thinking about standings right now. We’re thinking of trying to win a game.”
Winning is something the Blackhawks haven’t done since January 20 at home against Florida. With three more games left on their nine-game road trip, they’ll need to get it figured out against Nashville, the Rangers, and Columbus. If they don’t have it figured out after that, the team might look drastically different by this time next week.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 5
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 27
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 8
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27