Feb 12, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t just in a funk after losing eight straight games, they’ve got some serious problems to deal with.
Last night’s 3-0 loss to the Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, the Blackhawks are doing a lot of introspection to figure out how they can get things turned around. During their slide Chicago has fallen to sixth in the Western Conference and are 11 points back of Detroit in the Central.
“You need every guy in the room,” said Patrick Kane, who’s been way too quiet this season. “When we were successful, whether last year or the year before, we had a lot of depth, a lot of players stepping up beyond their game. That goes for me and for anyone in the room.”
While it’s up to everyone else to help turn things around, the front office will have something to say about it as well. Myers says that change is coming for this team one way or another whether it’s via trade (to get goaltending help to relieve Corey Crawford and Ray Emery) or possibly even firing coach Joel Quenneville. As for Quenneville, he remains stoic in the face of disaster.
“We need everybody on board,” Quenneville said. “We’re not thinking about standings right now. We’re thinking of trying to win a game.”
Winning is something the Blackhawks haven’t done since January 20 at home against Florida. With three more games left on their nine-game road trip, they’ll need to get it figured out against Nashville, the Rangers, and Columbus. If they don’t have it figured out after that, the team might look drastically different by this time next week.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)