Feb 12, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t just in a funk after losing eight straight games, they’ve got some serious problems to deal with.
Last night’s 3-0 loss to the Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, the Blackhawks are doing a lot of introspection to figure out how they can get things turned around. During their slide Chicago has fallen to sixth in the Western Conference and are 11 points back of Detroit in the Central.
“You need every guy in the room,” said Patrick Kane, who’s been way too quiet this season. “When we were successful, whether last year or the year before, we had a lot of depth, a lot of players stepping up beyond their game. That goes for me and for anyone in the room.”
While it’s up to everyone else to help turn things around, the front office will have something to say about it as well. Myers says that change is coming for this team one way or another whether it’s via trade (to get goaltending help to relieve Corey Crawford and Ray Emery) or possibly even firing coach Joel Quenneville. As for Quenneville, he remains stoic in the face of disaster.
“We need everybody on board,” Quenneville said. “We’re not thinking about standings right now. We’re thinking of trying to win a game.”
Winning is something the Blackhawks haven’t done since January 20 at home against Florida. With three more games left on their nine-game road trip, they’ll need to get it figured out against Nashville, the Rangers, and Columbus. If they don’t have it figured out after that, the team might look drastically different by this time next week.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)