Feb 12, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t just in a funk after losing eight straight games, they’ve got some serious problems to deal with.
Last night’s 3-0 loss to the Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, the Blackhawks are doing a lot of introspection to figure out how they can get things turned around. During their slide Chicago has fallen to sixth in the Western Conference and are 11 points back of Detroit in the Central.
“You need every guy in the room,” said Patrick Kane, who’s been way too quiet this season. “When we were successful, whether last year or the year before, we had a lot of depth, a lot of players stepping up beyond their game. That goes for me and for anyone in the room.”
While it’s up to everyone else to help turn things around, the front office will have something to say about it as well. Myers says that change is coming for this team one way or another whether it’s via trade (to get goaltending help to relieve Corey Crawford and Ray Emery) or possibly even firing coach Joel Quenneville. As for Quenneville, he remains stoic in the face of disaster.
“We need everybody on board,” Quenneville said. “We’re not thinking about standings right now. We’re thinking of trying to win a game.”
Winning is something the Blackhawks haven’t done since January 20 at home against Florida. With three more games left on their nine-game road trip, they’ll need to get it figured out against Nashville, the Rangers, and Columbus. If they don’t have it figured out after that, the team might look drastically different by this time next week.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (94)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)