Feb 12, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
With the trade deadline approaching and the Ducks on the brink of being irrelevant in the playoff race, the vultures are circling and the one guy a lot of playoff teams want to pick off is Teemu Selanne.
According to Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register however, Selanne isn’t thinking about getting moved out of town any time soon even when he’s asked nicely about it.
“I have tried to avoid that question,” Selanne said. “We still have (hope). Everybody in this room believes that we can make the playoffs and I think that would be almost wrong to even think about any other options. That’s not in my mind right now. Let’s see what happens.”
Selanne admitted that the road trip the team is on will likely determine how serious they are to make a run at the postseason. As it is the Ducks are just one game into it, a loss in the shootout to Detroit. With seven more games to go before they get home just a few days before the deadline, watching the Ducks comes with a lot of interest for teams like Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Jose, the Rangers, and Pittsburgh when it comes to wanting to acquire Selanne.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)