Feb 12, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
Going into Sunday’s game, only the 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers and the 1929-30 Boston Bruins had ever won 20 straight home games. The Flyers had a shot to keep Detroit out of that exclusive club, but they blew it in a 4-3 loss and now whether or not Detroit breaks their record on Tuesday against Dallas is out of their hands.
This was a night when Detroit’s best players proved to be the heroes, with Niklas Kronwall, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Johan Franzen each scoring a goal. Nicklas Lidstrom registered an assist and picked up the first star on a night where he surpassed Alex Delvecchio to become second to only Gordie Howe in terms of games played in a Detroit Red Wings uniform. By contrast, some of the Flyers top players like Claude Giroux and Jaromir Jagr were kept off the scoresheet.
Brayden Schenn scored twice for the Flyers, but his bad tripping penalty in the first period proved to be costly as it led to one of Detroit’s two power-play goals.
For the Philadelphia Flyers, this is their fifth loss in their last six games. They’re well behind the New York Rangers in the race for the Atlantic Division title and are in danger of coughing up the fourth seed and home ice advantage in the first round. Conversely, the Detroit Red Wings have won 12 of their 15 contests, and while Red Wings coach Mike Babcock might push his squad to do even better, they certainly can’t complain about their current record.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11