Feb 12, 2012, 12:39 PM EDT
After the fallout from Brendan Shanahan’s decision to just fine Dominic Moore for his head shot on Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko, something Shanahan did his best to explain via Twitter, we had yet to hear from Fedotenko’s outspoken agent Allan Walsh.
Until this morning that is when New York Post writer Larry Brooks heard from Walsh about his thoughts on seeing his client felled by what the NHL thought was “intentional interference.” Walsh let loose on the league via Brooks in today’s Post.
“I’m bewildered that a blatant blindside hit to the jaw of a player nowhere near the puck that knocked him out did not warrant a suspension,” Allan Walsh, Fedotenko’s agent, told Slap Shots via email. “How is this anything other than an intentional reckless hit to the head of an unsuspecting player?”
Shanahan felt that Moore delivered a hit that forced Fedotenko’s stick into his face, essentially relieving Moore of responsibility for the injury.
Fedotenko meanwhile missed the rest of the game against Tampa Bay, yesterday’s game against Philadelphia, and is out of today’s game against Washington with a presumed head injury. Shanahan’s initial crackdown on offenses has slowed down of late and we’ve seen fines handed out more often of late than suspensions.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)