Feb 12, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
If there’s one player to keep an eye on as the trade deadline approaches, it’s Columbus’ Jeff Carter. We’ve heard all about how he’s not loving life in Ohio and that when the Flyers traded him last offseason it really hurt him personally, thus hurting his trade value.
According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, however, it’s the Blue Jackets and GM Scott Howson that are really pushing hard to get him moved before the trade deadline.
He was traded from a perennial playoff contender to an organization that has never won a playoff game. This season has done nothing to instill confidence that the Blue Jackets are headed on the right path.
So the marriage is soon to end if the Blue Jackets can trade him. Oddly, though, it’s the Blue Jackets who seem most intent on the separation.
Portzline mentions that Los Angeles, Calgary, and possibly Toronto are teams interested in Carter with L.A. likely having to give up young goalie Jonathan Bernier and the Flames giving up Jay Bouwmeester among other pieces to make a deal possible.
Whether or not Columbus can get a deal done for Carter with his monstrous contract is another story entirely. Taking on a guy with over a $5 million cap hit until 2022 is a tough pill to swallow.
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)