Feb 12, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
If there’s one player to keep an eye on as the trade deadline approaches, it’s Columbus’ Jeff Carter. We’ve heard all about how he’s not loving life in Ohio and that when the Flyers traded him last offseason it really hurt him personally, thus hurting his trade value.
According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, however, it’s the Blue Jackets and GM Scott Howson that are really pushing hard to get him moved before the trade deadline.
He was traded from a perennial playoff contender to an organization that has never won a playoff game. This season has done nothing to instill confidence that the Blue Jackets are headed on the right path.
So the marriage is soon to end if the Blue Jackets can trade him. Oddly, though, it’s the Blue Jackets who seem most intent on the separation.
Portzline mentions that Los Angeles, Calgary, and possibly Toronto are teams interested in Carter with L.A. likely having to give up young goalie Jonathan Bernier and the Flames giving up Jay Bouwmeester among other pieces to make a deal possible.
Whether or not Columbus can get a deal done for Carter with his monstrous contract is another story entirely. Taking on a guy with over a $5 million cap hit until 2022 is a tough pill to swallow.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)