Feb 12, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
If there’s one player to keep an eye on as the trade deadline approaches, it’s Columbus’ Jeff Carter. We’ve heard all about how he’s not loving life in Ohio and that when the Flyers traded him last offseason it really hurt him personally, thus hurting his trade value.
According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, however, it’s the Blue Jackets and GM Scott Howson that are really pushing hard to get him moved before the trade deadline.
He was traded from a perennial playoff contender to an organization that has never won a playoff game. This season has done nothing to instill confidence that the Blue Jackets are headed on the right path.
So the marriage is soon to end if the Blue Jackets can trade him. Oddly, though, it’s the Blue Jackets who seem most intent on the separation.
Portzline mentions that Los Angeles, Calgary, and possibly Toronto are teams interested in Carter with L.A. likely having to give up young goalie Jonathan Bernier and the Flames giving up Jay Bouwmeester among other pieces to make a deal possible.
Whether or not Columbus can get a deal done for Carter with his monstrous contract is another story entirely. Taking on a guy with over a $5 million cap hit until 2022 is a tough pill to swallow.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)