Feb 12, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
If there’s one player to keep an eye on as the trade deadline approaches, it’s Columbus’ Jeff Carter. We’ve heard all about how he’s not loving life in Ohio and that when the Flyers traded him last offseason it really hurt him personally, thus hurting his trade value.
According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, however, it’s the Blue Jackets and GM Scott Howson that are really pushing hard to get him moved before the trade deadline.
He was traded from a perennial playoff contender to an organization that has never won a playoff game. This season has done nothing to instill confidence that the Blue Jackets are headed on the right path.
So the marriage is soon to end if the Blue Jackets can trade him. Oddly, though, it’s the Blue Jackets who seem most intent on the separation.
Portzline mentions that Los Angeles, Calgary, and possibly Toronto are teams interested in Carter with L.A. likely having to give up young goalie Jonathan Bernier and the Flames giving up Jay Bouwmeester among other pieces to make a deal possible.
Whether or not Columbus can get a deal done for Carter with his monstrous contract is another story entirely. Taking on a guy with over a $5 million cap hit until 2022 is a tough pill to swallow.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)