Feb 11, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Mats Sundin final months as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs were a trying time for him and the organization, but Leafs fans made it clear during his tribute before Saturday’s game that they appreciate everything he’s done for the franchise. Sundin had to pause several times during speech to allow the applause to quiet. The crowd got particularly loud as his banner was slowly raised. To view the entire event, check out the video below.
If the Air Canada Centre’s reaction on Saturday is any indication, he will be remembered fondly by a generation of Leafs fans in the same way that previous generations might look back on other Toronto greats like Darryl Sittler or George Armstrong.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50