Feb 11, 2012, 12:20 AM EDT
Some might say that the Dallas Stars will go as far as Kari Lehtonen takes them. I’d upgrade the drama of that statement to how far he can drag them.
The fantastic Finnish netminder made an outstanding overtime save on Thomas Vanek to give the Stars a shot at a shootout win but the Buffalo Sabres ultimately prevailed 3-2 (SO). Bask in his glory, even if it ultimately only delayed the inevitable:
That win keeps Buffalo’s flimsy playoff hopes alive while the Stars are alone in ninth place at 59 points with a game in hand on the eighth-place Phoenix Coyotes (who have 60).
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the video.)
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18