Feb 11, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
There was a time last season when it looked like Steve Stamkos and Sidney Crosby would fight tooth and nail for the Rocket Richard Trophy. They were both scoring goals at a remarkable pace. Then Crosby’s season got derailed by a concussion and as for Stamkos, well, he just seemed to lose his scoring touch. In fact, Stamkos scored just seven goals in 31 games after the All-Star break last season. So as good as he was in the first half of the 2011-12 campaign, the fear was that he would, at some point, suffer a similar collapse.
Although there’s still nearly two months of regular season hockey left to play, Stamkos already has five goals in six games since the All-Star break. In fact, he’s riding a four-game goal scoring streak after netting the game-winner in Tampa Bay’s 2-1 victory over Buffalo on Saturday. Anything could happen and Stamkos might still lose the Rocket Richard Trophy despite his current seven-goal lead on Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel. All the same, he isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5