Feb 11, 2012, 9:44 PM EST
There was a time last season when it looked like Steve Stamkos and Sidney Crosby would fight tooth and nail for the Rocket Richard Trophy. They were both scoring goals at a remarkable pace. Then Crosby’s season got derailed by a concussion and as for Stamkos, well, he just seemed to lose his scoring touch. In fact, Stamkos scored just seven goals in 31 games after the All-Star break last season. So as good as he was in the first half of the 2011-12 campaign, the fear was that he would, at some point, suffer a similar collapse.
Although there’s still nearly two months of regular season hockey left to play, Stamkos already has five goals in six games since the All-Star break. In fact, he’s riding a four-game goal scoring streak after netting the game-winner in Tampa Bay’s 2-1 victory over Buffalo on Saturday. Anything could happen and Stamkos might still lose the Rocket Richard Trophy despite his current seven-goal lead on Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel. All the same, he isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5