Feb 11, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
Zach Parise‘s situation in New Jersey is a fascinating one. He’s the team captain and his contract is up after this season and would make him an unrestricted free agent if the Devils don’t sign him to an extension.
Things might be getting a bit more interesting for the Devils, however, as Mark Everson of the New York Post has a source saying that Parise doesn’t want to be distracted by contract talk with the playoffs approaching.
Parise, who brings a seven-game point streak into this afternoon’s visit by the Panthers, yesterday was silent regarding his upcoming contract. Before clamming up, however, he said he remains open to re-signing with the Devils during the season.
But sources say he’s “hockey first” right now, not wanting such a major distraction as negotiations, if possible. That means not discussing his contract status with the media, either.
“I’m not talking about that any more,” Parise said.
It’s a report from an anonymous source so keep that in mind before freaking out.
That said, if it proves to be true that Parise doesn’t want to talk contract with the Devils during the season, that makes the offseason a bit more daunting for the Devils. GM Lou Lamoriello would rather not have to trade his team’s superstar forward, but if negotiations go poorly he might have to before Parise hits free agency on July 1.
That’s a long way off and reports were always meant to be disproved.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 5
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)