Feb 11, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
With the trade deadline approaching in 16 days, teams are going to need to figure out what they need to do to be ready for a playoff run. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli is one of many GMs in search of answers for his slumping team.
Chiarelli talks about what he’s looking for on the trade market to help the Bruins repeat as Stanley Cup champions. His wishlist, thanks to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, looks a little similar to a few other teams.
“I’d like to add a defenseman and a forward, without subtracting anything,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher and Rich earlier this week. “Right now the market is very, very slow. Races are so tight. I say this every year, but it seems slower this year. The gaps between the 12-13 spots for the playoffs are small.”
“It’s been tough sledding this year, I know we have 2-3 weeks, but we’ll see how it goes.”
The two guys that Haggerty says might need to feel nervous about their starting jobs are forward Benoit Pouliot and defenseman Joe Corvo. Pouliot and Corvo have had games where they’ve looked solid but more than a few others where they’ve been the goat.
Haggerty listed off a host of players the Bruins could take a shot at and all the names are familiar to you by now: Tuomo Ruutu, Ray Whitney, Shane Doan, Jeff Carter, Rick Nash, Ryan Smyth, Hal Gill, Johnny Oduya, etc.
A lot of players on that list would require Chiarelli to go against what he said he’d want to do. If you’re dreaming big on the trade market, you’re going to be left disappointed.
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes errant knee to head 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 30
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)