Feb 11, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
With the trade deadline approaching in 16 days, teams are going to need to figure out what they need to do to be ready for a playoff run. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli is one of many GMs in search of answers for his slumping team.
Chiarelli talks about what he’s looking for on the trade market to help the Bruins repeat as Stanley Cup champions. His wishlist, thanks to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, looks a little similar to a few other teams.
“I’d like to add a defenseman and a forward, without subtracting anything,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher and Rich earlier this week. “Right now the market is very, very slow. Races are so tight. I say this every year, but it seems slower this year. The gaps between the 12-13 spots for the playoffs are small.”
“It’s been tough sledding this year, I know we have 2-3 weeks, but we’ll see how it goes.”
The two guys that Haggerty says might need to feel nervous about their starting jobs are forward Benoit Pouliot and defenseman Joe Corvo. Pouliot and Corvo have had games where they’ve looked solid but more than a few others where they’ve been the goat.
Haggerty listed off a host of players the Bruins could take a shot at and all the names are familiar to you by now: Tuomo Ruutu, Ray Whitney, Shane Doan, Jeff Carter, Rick Nash, Ryan Smyth, Hal Gill, Johnny Oduya, etc.
A lot of players on that list would require Chiarelli to go against what he said he’d want to do. If you’re dreaming big on the trade market, you’re going to be left disappointed.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 1
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)