Feb 11, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick must feel like he’s being hazed in Los Angeles.
How else can you explain Quick’s season without shaking your head in frustration for the guy? When you check out the NHL stats leaderboard, he trails only St. Louis’ Brian Elliott and New York’s Henrik Lundvist in both goals against average (1.91) and save percentage (.934) while being tied for first with Lundqvist in shutouts with six.
With numbers like that Quick could be (should be?) a Vezina finalist by the time the season ends. Unfortunately for him, his record would make you think otherwise.
After losing 2-1 in overtime to the Islanders this afternoon, Quick has more losses than wins this season sporting a 23-14-10 record. Losing 14 times in regulation is hard enough when you’re giving up less than two goals a game, but 10 times in overtime or the shootout on top of it? Brutal.
For what it’s worth, Quick’s staying upbeat about things as best as he can as he told Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider after today’s loss.
“We didn’t get two points. That’s what we came here to do, and we came up short. We’ve got to regroup. We have a game tomorrow. That’s the good thing about this league. If you didn’t play as good as you wanted to, you get an opportunity the next night. So we’re going to get ready for tomorrow against Dallas.’’
We’re sure that straightforward focus is something both his former coach Terry Murray and current head coach Darryl Sutter love about him, but Sutter and GM Dean Lombardi need to find ways to spark their team to scoring more goals. Having goaltending like this go to waste is virtually criminal.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)