Feb 11, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick must feel like he’s being hazed in Los Angeles.
How else can you explain Quick’s season without shaking your head in frustration for the guy? When you check out the NHL stats leaderboard, he trails only St. Louis’ Brian Elliott and New York’s Henrik Lundvist in both goals against average (1.91) and save percentage (.934) while being tied for first with Lundqvist in shutouts with six.
With numbers like that Quick could be (should be?) a Vezina finalist by the time the season ends. Unfortunately for him, his record would make you think otherwise.
After losing 2-1 in overtime to the Islanders this afternoon, Quick has more losses than wins this season sporting a 23-14-10 record. Losing 14 times in regulation is hard enough when you’re giving up less than two goals a game, but 10 times in overtime or the shootout on top of it? Brutal.
For what it’s worth, Quick’s staying upbeat about things as best as he can as he told Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider after today’s loss.
“We didn’t get two points. That’s what we came here to do, and we came up short. We’ve got to regroup. We have a game tomorrow. That’s the good thing about this league. If you didn’t play as good as you wanted to, you get an opportunity the next night. So we’re going to get ready for tomorrow against Dallas.’’
We’re sure that straightforward focus is something both his former coach Terry Murray and current head coach Darryl Sutter love about him, but Sutter and GM Dean Lombardi need to find ways to spark their team to scoring more goals. Having goaltending like this go to waste is virtually criminal.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 3
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 11
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 72
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (75)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control