Feb 11, 2012, 6:26 PM EST
Jonathan Quick must feel like he’s being hazed in Los Angeles.
How else can you explain Quick’s season without shaking your head in frustration for the guy? When you check out the NHL stats leaderboard, he trails only St. Louis’ Brian Elliott and New York’s Henrik Lundvist in both goals against average (1.91) and save percentage (.934) while being tied for first with Lundqvist in shutouts with six.
With numbers like that Quick could be (should be?) a Vezina finalist by the time the season ends. Unfortunately for him, his record would make you think otherwise.
After losing 2-1 in overtime to the Islanders this afternoon, Quick has more losses than wins this season sporting a 23-14-10 record. Losing 14 times in regulation is hard enough when you’re giving up less than two goals a game, but 10 times in overtime or the shootout on top of it? Brutal.
For what it’s worth, Quick’s staying upbeat about things as best as he can as he told Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider after today’s loss.
“We didn’t get two points. That’s what we came here to do, and we came up short. We’ve got to regroup. We have a game tomorrow. That’s the good thing about this league. If you didn’t play as good as you wanted to, you get an opportunity the next night. So we’re going to get ready for tomorrow against Dallas.’’
We’re sure that straightforward focus is something both his former coach Terry Murray and current head coach Darryl Sutter love about him, but Sutter and GM Dean Lombardi need to find ways to spark their team to scoring more goals. Having goaltending like this go to waste is virtually criminal.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)