Feb 11, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The way the Philadelphia Flyers have been playing lately, maybe they could use a kick in the rear. Enter Kimmo Timonen.
“I’m a little disappointed at the effort, the emotional level, a top team in the conference and league and to be honest. We got half the guys going and half not,” he said following the Flyers 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Saturday. “That was my opinion. You might see differently, but that is what I saw. It’s a big game for us and I was expecting more. It was tight game, they got three power play goals, we didn’t score any.”
When asked about the impact Chris Pronger’s absence has had on their squad, Timonen added, “He’s not here and we all should get by that by now – he’s not coming back.” Maybe this is Timonen’s way of trying to fill the leadership void left by Pronger. One thing is for sure, the Flyers, for all the talent they have on their team, are still giving their fans plenty of reasons to be concerned as we edge towards the playoffs.
This is just another subplot to keep in mind as the Philadelphia Flyers head to Detroit for Sunday’s big game. Detroit will be attempting to tie an NHL record with their 20th straight home win, meanwhile the Philadelphia Flyers will just be fighting to right their ship after losing four of their last five contests.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)