Feb 11, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The way the Philadelphia Flyers have been playing lately, maybe they could use a kick in the rear. Enter Kimmo Timonen.
“I’m a little disappointed at the effort, the emotional level, a top team in the conference and league and to be honest. We got half the guys going and half not,” he said following the Flyers 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Saturday. “That was my opinion. You might see differently, but that is what I saw. It’s a big game for us and I was expecting more. It was tight game, they got three power play goals, we didn’t score any.”
When asked about the impact Chris Pronger’s absence has had on their squad, Timonen added, “He’s not here and we all should get by that by now – he’s not coming back.” Maybe this is Timonen’s way of trying to fill the leadership void left by Pronger. One thing is for sure, the Flyers, for all the talent they have on their team, are still giving their fans plenty of reasons to be concerned as we edge towards the playoffs.
This is just another subplot to keep in mind as the Philadelphia Flyers head to Detroit for Sunday’s big game. Detroit will be attempting to tie an NHL record with their 20th straight home win, meanwhile the Philadelphia Flyers will just be fighting to right their ship after losing four of their last five contests.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)