Feb 11, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan did his part to help explain his decision for only fining Lightning forward Dominic Moore for his head shot on Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko. Shanahan being the savvy tech guy that he is did so by taking it to Twitter.
Obviously this explanation isn’t going to sit well with Rangers fans as they feel that Moore went out of his way to hit Fedotenko and wound up delivering a shot to his head that has him out of action for today’s game against the Flyers.
The Lightning, unsurprisingly, support Shanahan’s decision as Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times gets coach Guy Boucher’s take.
“When I looked at the clip, it’s not something you want to see, but it was nothing that was premeditated,” Boucher said, and added about the fine, “I think it’s the right thing to do. Sometimes you can avoid those contacts, especially it wasn’t necessarily getting the puck and all that. It’ an interference call, but they see it more as an aggressive interference call. They just want to warn the player, I think.”
Warning the player is nice and all, but it was Shanahan’s job to get in and help eliminate needless shots to the head. This play seems to fall under that description.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 6
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 14
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 121
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (121)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)