Feb 11, 2012, 2:17 PM EST
Brendan Shanahan did his part to help explain his decision for only fining Lightning forward Dominic Moore for his head shot on Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko. Shanahan being the savvy tech guy that he is did so by taking it to Twitter.
Obviously this explanation isn’t going to sit well with Rangers fans as they feel that Moore went out of his way to hit Fedotenko and wound up delivering a shot to his head that has him out of action for today’s game against the Flyers.
The Lightning, unsurprisingly, support Shanahan’s decision as Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times gets coach Guy Boucher’s take.
“When I looked at the clip, it’s not something you want to see, but it was nothing that was premeditated,” Boucher said, and added about the fine, “I think it’s the right thing to do. Sometimes you can avoid those contacts, especially it wasn’t necessarily getting the puck and all that. It’ an interference call, but they see it more as an aggressive interference call. They just want to warn the player, I think.”
Warning the player is nice and all, but it was Shanahan’s job to get in and help eliminate needless shots to the head. This play seems to fall under that description.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 3
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 35
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)