Feb 11, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan did his part to help explain his decision for only fining Lightning forward Dominic Moore for his head shot on Rangers forward Ruslan Fedotenko. Shanahan being the savvy tech guy that he is did so by taking it to Twitter.
Obviously this explanation isn’t going to sit well with Rangers fans as they feel that Moore went out of his way to hit Fedotenko and wound up delivering a shot to his head that has him out of action for today’s game against the Flyers.
The Lightning, unsurprisingly, support Shanahan’s decision as Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times gets coach Guy Boucher’s take.
“When I looked at the clip, it’s not something you want to see, but it was nothing that was premeditated,” Boucher said, and added about the fine, “I think it’s the right thing to do. Sometimes you can avoid those contacts, especially it wasn’t necessarily getting the puck and all that. It’ an interference call, but they see it more as an aggressive interference call. They just want to warn the player, I think.”
Warning the player is nice and all, but it was Shanahan’s job to get in and help eliminate needless shots to the head. This play seems to fall under that description.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (89)